Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors or not?

1. Dec 13, 2009 #1
    I have a general question on presenting physics work:

When is it appropriate to use vector (bold) notation? I understand the difference between vectors and scalar quantities, and always used to think an equation with a vector on the LHS needed to have a vector on the RHS, but in writing up a recent question, had this equation:

E[tex]_{kin}[/tex]=1/2mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]

which I then use to produce an equation involving momentum, p, and then the final result which is a dimensionless quantity.

Now I know energy is not a vector quantity. Does that mean it is wrong to put the velocity reference in bold?

The same goes for the expression involving momentum:

E[tex]_{kin2}[/tex]=(p[tex]^{2}[/tex])/2(m+M)

is it wrong to have the p in bold?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Tom

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[Equation corrected]
    In my opinion, yes. If you want to use a vector you would need to be a bit more verbose:

[tex]E_{kin}=\frac1 2 \,\frac{\mathbf p\cdot \mathbf p}{m+M}[/tex]

or

[tex]E_{kin}=\frac1 2 \,\frac{||\mathbf p||^2}{m+M}[/tex]

The only time you need to be verbose like that is when you are already using (in this case) a scalar p that denotes something other than the magnitude of the momentum vector. Otherwise, use of a unbolded symbol, particularly when squared, indicates the magnitude of the corresponding vector. It's pretty clear, and that is the standard usage in texts and journals. (Suppose you write a paper in which p denotes momentum but p denotes pressure. This paper will probably come back with some scathing review comments along the lines of "Don't do that! You confused me, and I know the subject.")

4. Dec 13, 2009 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

In an expression for KE, I would not use bold (or any other notation) to represent velocity or momentum as vectors, since only the magnitudes of those quantities are needed.

Realize that: [tex]v^2 \equiv \vec{v} \cdot \vec{v}[/tex]

Edit: While I was daydreaming, D H beat me to it.

5. Dec 13, 2009 #4
    Thanks all.
    Much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook