1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors or not?

1. Dec 13, 2009 #1
    I have a general question on presenting physics work:

When is it appropriate to use vector (bold) notation? I understand the difference between vectors and scalar quantities, and always used to think an equation with a vector on the LHS needed to have a vector on the RHS, but in writing up a recent question, had this equation:

E[tex]_{kin}[/tex]=1/2mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]

which I then use to produce an equation involving momentum, p, and then the final result which is a dimensionless quantity.

Now I know energy is not a vector quantity. Does that mean it is wrong to put the velocity reference in bold?

The same goes for the expression involving momentum:

E[tex]_{kin2}[/tex]=(p[tex]^{2}[/tex])/2(m+M)

is it wrong to have the p in bold?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Tom

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[Equation corrected]
    In my opinion, yes. If you want to use a vector you would need to be a bit more verbose:

[tex]E_{kin}=\frac1 2 \,\frac{\mathbf p\cdot \mathbf p}{m+M}[/tex]

or

[tex]E_{kin}=\frac1 2 \,\frac{||\mathbf p||^2}{m+M}[/tex]

The only time you need to be verbose like that is when you are already using (in this case) a scalar p that denotes something other than the magnitude of the momentum vector. Otherwise, use of a unbolded symbol, particularly when squared, indicates the magnitude of the corresponding vector. It's pretty clear, and that is the standard usage in texts and journals. (Suppose you write a paper in which p denotes momentum but p denotes pressure. This paper will probably come back with some scathing review comments along the lines of "Don't do that! You confused me, and I know the subject.")

4. Dec 13, 2009 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

In an expression for KE, I would not use bold (or any other notation) to represent velocity or momentum as vectors, since only the magnitudes of those quantities are needed.

Realize that: [tex]v^2 \equiv \vec{v} \cdot \vec{v}[/tex]

Edit: While I was daydreaming, D H beat me to it.

5. Dec 13, 2009 #4
    Thanks all.
    Much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook