Why Is My Calculation for the X Component of the Vector Sum Incorrect?

• Thread starter STEF2098
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the two vectors a and b have equal magnitudes of 13.0 m and angles of θ1 = 30° and θ2 = 100°. To find the components of their vector sum, r, the y component is 16.3 and the x components of a and b are 11.26 and -2.26 respectively. However, this results in a sum of 9.0, which is not the expected answer. Further clarification is needed.
STEF2098
The two vectors a and b have equal magnitudes of 13.0 m and their angles are θ1 = 30° and θ2 = 100°.
Find the components of their vector sum, r.

I know this is a very simple problem, but I can't get it! And it is frustrating me to no end.

I know the y component of the sum is 16.3. (I don't remember how I got this, but it's right.)
However, when I try to find the x components of each vector, I get 11.26 for a, and -2.26 for b. When these are added, you get 9.0. And the computer(our HW is graded online) is telling me that this is the wrong answer.

What am I doing wrong?!

Physics news on Phys.org
STEF2098 said:
The two vectors a and b have equal magnitudes of 13.0 m and their angles are θ1 = 30° and θ2 = 100°.
Find the components of their vector sum, r.

I know the y component of the sum is 16.3. (I don't remember how I got this, but it's right.)
However, when I try to find the x components of each vector, I get 11.26 for a, and -2.26 for b. When these are added, you get 9.0. And the computer(our HW is graded online) is telling me that this is the wrong answer.

What am I doing wrong?!

Hi STEF2098! :smile:

hmm … I make it 9.0 also, but I don't get 16.3 :confused:

are you sure it's not |a| = |b| = 11.0 m?

It seems like you are on the right track with finding the y component of the sum, but there may be an error in your calculation for the x component. Let's break down the problem and see if we can find the mistake.

First, we can draw a diagram to visualize the problem. We have two vectors, a and b, with equal magnitudes of 13.0 m and angles of 30° and 100°, respectively.

Next, we can use trigonometry to find the x and y components of each vector. For vector a, the x component would be 13.0 m * cos(30°) = 11.26 m and the y component would be 13.0 m * sin(30°) = 6.5 m. Similarly, for vector b, the x component would be 13.0 m * cos(100°) = -2.26 m and the y component would be 13.0 m * sin(100°) = 12.3 m.

Now, to find the vector sum, we can add the x components and the y components separately. The x component of the sum would be 11.26 m + (-2.26 m) = 9.0 m. The y component of the sum would be 6.5 m + 12.3 m = 18.8 m.

Finally, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the vector sum, r. It would be √(9.0 m^2 + 18.8 m^2) = 21.1 m. And to find the angle of the vector sum, we can use the inverse tangent function: tan^-1(18.8 m/9.0 m) = 65.7°.

So, the final answer for the vector sum, r, would be 21.1 m at an angle of 65.7°. I hope this helps you identify any mistakes in your calculation and understand the problem better. Remember to always double-check your work and use diagrams to visualize the problem. Best of luck!

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented as an arrow pointing in a specific direction, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector.

2. How are vectors used in science?

Vectors are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and biology. They are especially useful in describing motion, forces, and other physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

3. What are some common problems or difficulties when working with vectors?

Some common problems or difficulties when working with vectors include understanding vector addition and subtraction, determining vector components, and visualizing vector quantities in three dimensions.

4. How can I solve vector problems?

To solve vector problems, it is important to first identify the given information, draw a diagram to represent the problem, and then use vector addition, subtraction, or other mathematical operations to find the solution. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, simpler parts.

5. Can you provide an example of a vector problem?

Sure! A common vector problem involves finding the resultant vector when two or more vectors are added together. For example, if a person walks 3 kilometers north and then 4 kilometers east, what is their resultant displacement from their starting point? This can be solved using vector addition to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.