Solving Vectors Problem: Proving Collinearity

• Thread starter Karate Chop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, The conversation is about a question on an assignment that asks to prove the collinearity of points using vectors. The person has tried different approaches, including using equations of lines and position vectors, but has been unsuccessful in solving the problem. They are seeking help and are unsure if anyone else has made progress on the question. They also mention attaching a figure, but someone named ehild does not understand the question.
Karate Chop
Hi, I'm having a few troubles with this question on my assignment. I've tried for many hours to get out the answer but i keep getting stuck and am not sure if I'm going about it the right way.

This is the question:

Three concurrent lines OA, OB and OC are produced to D, E and F respectively. Prove, using vectors, that the point of intersection of AB and DE, BC and EF, CA and FD are collinear.

What worked out the equations of the lines going through the points A and B, D and E, etc. and then made the equations of lines through A and B and D and E equal each other, since they were the position vectors of any point along that line. I did this inorder to try to get the points D, E and F in terms of a, b and c (the position vectors of A, B and C respectively), however in my last and most successful attempt at this question, i end up with 3 sets of two simultaneous equations, each set had three different variables so i couldn't solve it. Please help! thanks in advance. john.

Physics news on Phys.org
Has anybody gone anywhere useful with it?

Karate Chop said:
Has anybody gone anywhere useful with it?

Attach a figure. I do not understand the question.

ehild

1. What is collinearity in vector problems?

Collinearity in vector problems refers to the condition where three or more vectors lie on the same line or are parallel to each other. This means that they have the same direction and can be written as scalar multiples of each other.

2. How do you prove collinearity in vector problems?

To prove collinearity in vector problems, you can use the cross product or dot product of the given vectors. If the result is zero, then the vectors are collinear. Another way is to find the equation of the line passing through the points represented by the vectors and see if the other vectors also lie on the same line.

3. What is the importance of proving collinearity in vector problems?

Proving collinearity in vector problems is important because it helps in determining the relationship between the given vectors. It can also be used to check if the vectors are linearly dependent or independent, which is crucial in solving various physics and engineering problems.

4. Can collinearity be proven for more than three vectors?

Yes, collinearity can be proven for any number of vectors. If all the vectors are collinear, then they can be expressed as scalar multiples of each other. You can use the same methods mentioned above, such as the cross product or dot product, to prove collinearity for more than three vectors.

5. Are there any real-life applications of solving vectors problems involving collinearity?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of solving vectors problems involving collinearity. For example, in physics, collinearity is used to analyze the motion of objects on inclined planes, while in engineering, it is used to determine the forces acting on a structure. It is also used in navigation, computer graphics, and many other fields.