1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors product proof

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Proof that (A×B) . (B×A) + (A . B)^2= A^2 . B^2

2. Relevant equations

A×(B×C)=(A . C)B - (A . B)C

3. The attempt at a solution

Assuming K=(A×B)
    K . (B×A) + (A . B)^2 = A^2 . B^2
    B . (A×K) + (A . B)^2 = A^2 . B^2
    B . [A×(A×B)] + (A . B)^2 = A^2 . B^2
    B . [(A . B)A - (A . A)B] + (A . B)(A . B) = A^2 . B^2
    (A . B)(B . A) - (A . A)(B . B) + (A . B)(A . B) = A^2 . B^2

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Shouldn't the right side be |A|2 |B|2? The left side is a scalar (i.e., a number), so the right side needs to be a scalar as well.

4. Mar 6, 2014 #3
    Isn't the dot product of a vector (A for example) with itself is equal to A^2?

I see that the idea behind this proof is to eliminate the (A . B)(B . A) and (A . B)(A . B)

5. Mar 6, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Strictly speaking, no, but I understand what you're trying to say. The product of a vector with itself (which you write as A2) is normally written as ##A \cdot A## or ##A \times A##, depending on which kind of product you mean. Another argument against A2 is that it can't be extended to, say, A3, because ##A \cdot A \cdot A## isn't defined. (The first dot product produces a scalar, which can't be dotted with a vector.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted