Vectors Question - Calculus

In summary, a vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction, commonly represented by an arrow. Basic operations that can be performed on vectors include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, and dot product. Vectors are used in calculus to represent quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force, and in multivariable calculus to solve problems involving curves and surfaces. The main difference between a vector and a scalar is that a vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. Vectors can be represented mathematically as a column or row of numbers, or geometrically as an arrow or point in a coordinate system.
ttpp1124
Homework Statement
How to find the tension?
Relevant Equations
N/A
A 45 kg chandelier is suspended by two chains of lengths 5 m and 8 m attached to two points in the ceiling 11 m apart. Find the tension in the 5 m rope.

Physics news on Phys.org
To get help you have to make an effort to answer the question and show what it is.

Well, see, I'm not so sure how to start. I'm assuming I'd multiply mass with gravity...? I don't know how to incorporate the lengths.

ttpp1124 said:
Well, see, I'm not so sure how to start. I'm assuming I'd multiply mass with gravity...? I don't know how to incorporate the lengths.
Draw a free body diagram and show what it is.

Likes berkeman
How is it that you have a homework problem that you don't even know how to start? Did you miss a class? If so, I suggest that you get the notes and learn the material.

Likes berkeman
phinds said:
How is it that you have a homework problem that you don't even know how to start? Did you miss a class? If so, I suggest that you get the notes and learn the material.
listen buddy you either help me get started or leave

IMG_3368.jpg

ttpp1124 said:
Thread locked for Moderation...

ttpp1124 said:
Thread will remain closed. OP has been reminded to show their best efforts to work the problem in their first post, so we can provide quality tutorial help.

What is a vector in calculus?

A vector in calculus is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

How do you add vectors in calculus?

In calculus, vectors can be added by using the parallelogram law. This involves placing the vectors head to tail and drawing a parallelogram with the vectors as adjacent sides. The diagonal of the parallelogram represents the sum of the two vectors.

What is the dot product of two vectors in calculus?

The dot product of two vectors in calculus is a scalar quantity that is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. It is used to determine the angle between two vectors and is also useful in calculating work and energy.

What is the cross product of two vectors in calculus?

The cross product of two vectors in calculus is a vector quantity that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is calculated by taking the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate torque and angular momentum.

How are vectors used in calculus applications?

Vectors are used in many applications in calculus, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to represent forces, velocities, and other physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In economics, vectors are used to represent supply and demand, as well as other economic variables.