Solve Vector Intersection: A,B,C,D | Point P & Perpendicular Line

• Thread starter bruceflea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discussed finding the point of intersection and equation of the line perpendicular to two given lines. The point of intersection was determined to be (4,6,3) and the equation of the line was found to be r = 4i+6j+3k + S(-i+j-k). The cross product was suggested as an easier method to find the perpendicular vector. The equation for the line was also discussed as bc(x1 -x) = ac(y1 - y) = bc(z1 -z).
bruceflea
It's seems like such a basic question but I can't for the life of me remember how to do it.Given the points A(0,0,1), B(2,3,2), C(1,0,0) and D(2,2,1), verify that the line through A and B and the line through C and D intersect and find the point of intersection P. Find the equation of the line through P which is perpendicular to both these lines.I've worked out the point P to be (4,6,3) and I know that for a line to be perpendicular, the dot products of two vectors have to be 0.

I know that the equation between A and B is r = k + P(2i+3j+k) and between C and D r = i + Q(i+2j+k).

Am I right in saying that the vector of AB is 2i+3j+k and the vector of CD is i+2j+k?The answer I worked it out to be is r = 4i+6j+3k + S(-i+j-k)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. While the dot product part is true, an easier way to find the perpendicular vector would be the cross product, which gives a third vector perpendicular to both given vectors. CD x AB gives -i+j-k for the direction vector, as you found.

Okay tim provided you the important help. Anyway what Tim found was a vector perpendicular to two vectors. what you need is equation. You understand the slope of the line from cross product and write the equation carefully. For this ifthe vector is ai + bj + ck and should be passing through a spacely point x1,y1,z1, then the equation must be bc(x1 -x) = ac(y1 - y) = bc(z1 -z). verify whether this is correct.

1. How do you determine the intersection point of two vectors?

The intersection point of two vectors can be found by solving for the point where their equations are equal. This can be done by setting the x and y coordinates of each vector equal to each other and then solving the resulting system of equations.

2. Can you explain the concept of a perpendicular line in relation to vectors?

A perpendicular line is a line that intersects another line at a 90 degree angle. In relation to vectors, this means that the two vectors are orthogonal to each other. This can be determined by taking the dot product of the two vectors and if the result is 0, then they are perpendicular.

3. How do you represent a vector in 2D and 3D space?

In 2D space, a vector can be represented by an arrow with a magnitude and direction. In 3D space, a vector can be represented by a line with an arrow, where the length of the line represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

4. What is the difference between a vector and a point?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a point is a specific location in space. Vectors can be used to represent directions and movements, while points are used to represent a fixed location.

5. What is the significance of finding the intersection point of two vectors?

The intersection point of two vectors can be used to determine if the two vectors are parallel or perpendicular to each other. It can also be used to find the point of intersection between two lines or to determine if two lines are intersecting at a certain point.