1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors question

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    [​IMG]

here's the problem, i'm oblivious to as to what conditions ii, iii, iv, mean, i have never seen that notation and its not *in my notes nor my book.

Can someone help me out? Also for problem b) can someone point me in the right direction.

Cheers

*edit

so far for b) i has
    b) a•w = 4a - 1b - 3c , b•w = 1a + ab + 2c ==> w•(a+b) = w•a + w•b = a - c

a = c + 1
    by substituting the above into b•w i got
    b = 3 + c

are thar any sites that will teach this to me? i dunno what i'm doing.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2
    can anyone tell me what conditions ii, iii, and iv mean, WTF doesnt anyone know, i've asked me mates and they are just as clueless as i am. is you guys not helping me because i havent started solving the question? i cant solve it if i dont understand what it asks me... please some help. 40 views and not a single post :( i feel unloved.

4. Oct 2, 2008 #3
    [​IMG]

alright, here's the corrected question :D and how i plan to arrive at the answer. unless conditions ii. iii. iv. slice in to the cones; then i'll have to do some more pondering. but otherwise i think i have the first question solved.

can anyone give me a hint of two for question b) this assignment is dues tomorrow...

the approach i'm taking is to differentiate |w| to find the minimum but before i can do that i have to express it as a single variable. Is this right? or am i taking the back door?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?