Calculating Y-Component of Vector B: Solve Vectors Question

• Thread starter MarieWynn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary: And once you have that, how can you use the given angle and magnitude of vector A to find the magnitude and direction of vector B?In summary, the problem presents a diagram with two vectors, A and B, and their respective angles and magnitudes relative to the coordinate axes. The objective is to calculate the y-component of vector B, given the information that A-B is parallel to the -x axis. By using this information and the formula By=Bcos(theta), we can solve for the magnitude and direction of vector B using the given angle and magnitude of vector A. Thus, we do not need the actual value of vector B to solve the problem.
MarieWynn

Homework Statement

The diagram below shows two vectors, A and B, and their angles relative to the coordinate axes as indicated.
DATA: α= 47.5o β= 56.6o |A| = 7.9 cm. The vector A - B is parallel to the -x axis (points due West). Calculate the y-component of vector B.

Homework Equations

By=Bcos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't attempted this yet. What I need help with is setting it up, not actually solving the problem. I feel like some data is missing. In order for me to calculate the y component using the formula listed above, I need to know B. But I am only given A. So how do I find B? I can't find it anywhere. There are other parts to this question but I think I can handle those once I get B. Can someone help me figure out what I am missing here? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it like an algebra problem, instead of giving you A and B and asking you to find the result (lets call it C), they're giving you A, and telling you something important about the resultant (C)---i.e. note that they say A-B is parallel to the -x axis, what does that tell you?
How can you use that information?

1. How do I calculate the Y-component of a vector?

The Y-component of a vector can be calculated by using the formula Y = V * sin(θ), where V is the magnitude of the vector and θ is the angle between the vector and the Y-axis.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the Y-component of a vector?

The Y-component of a vector is important in determining the direction and magnitude of a force or motion in a two-dimensional space. It allows for the decomposition of a vector into its vertical and horizontal components, making it easier to analyze and solve problems.

3. Can the Y-component of a vector be negative?

Yes, the Y-component of a vector can be negative. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the negative Y-direction, or in the opposite direction of the positive Y-axis.

4. How do I use the Y-component of a vector in a real-life scenario?

The Y-component of a vector can be used in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the vertical displacement of an object, determining the height of an object thrown into the air, or analyzing the forces acting on an object on an inclined plane.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating the Y-component of a vector?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the Y-component of a vector, such as using trigonometric functions or using the Pythagorean theorem. However, the formula Y = V * sin(θ) is the most commonly used and efficient method for solving vector problems.