Vectors Q: Solving OR & OP | Homework Forum

• Thread starter Eysz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a relationship between ##\vec{OR}## and b, and how to solve for the answer in terms of b. The solution involves substituting t=10 and results in the answer being 4b. It is also mentioned that this is due to the direction of b in the diagram.
Eysz
NOTE: Thread was moved to Homework forums and thus has no homework template...

7MHpMAN.jpg

I managed to find (a) but i couldn't figure out (b).

I think OR = OP + PR = (2/3)a + t( (-1/15)a + (2/5)b) but i don't know how to go further please guide or help me with this please. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a useful, directly observable, relationship between ##\vec{OR}## and b.

haruspex said:
There's a useful, directly observable, relationship between ##\vec{OR}## and b.

Then i should just substitute t=10 into the OR= (2/3)a + t( (-1/15)a + (2/5)b) since the answer must be in terms of b. That would make it 4b.

Is it correct?

Eysz said:
Then i should just substitute t=10 into the OR= (2/3)a + t( (-1/15)a + (2/5)b) since the answer must be in terms of b. That would make it 4b.

Is it correct?
Yes, but not because you are told the answer must be in terms of b. You know from the diagram that it must be in the direction of b. Unless a and b are in the same direction, how else will you get (2/3)a + t( (-1/15)a + (2/5)b) to be a scalar multiple of b?

Likes Eysz
haruspex said:
Yes, but not because you are told the answer must be in terms of b. You know from the diagram that it must be in the direction of b. Unless a and b are in the same direction, how else will you get (2/3)a + t( (-1/15)a + (2/5)b) to be a scalar multiple of b?

I completely understand now! Thanks!

1. What are vectors and how are they used in physics?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. In physics, vectors are used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force. They are also used to solve problems involving motion and forces.

2. What is the difference between OR and OP in vector equations?

In vector equations, OR and OP represent the position vectors of two points in space. OR is the vector from the origin to a specific point, while OP is the vector from the origin to a different point. OR and OP have the same direction, but may have different magnitudes.

3. How do you solve vector equations involving OR and OP?

To solve vector equations involving OR and OP, you can use the properties of vectors such as commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. You can also use trigonometric functions and the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector.

4. Can you give an example of a vector equation involving OR and OP?

One example of a vector equation involving OR and OP is OR + OP = RQ. This equation represents the vector addition of OR and OP resulting in the vector RQ, which is the displacement from the origin to a point Q.

5. How are vectors used in real-life applications?

Vectors are used in various real-life applications such as navigation, engineering, and video game programming. For example, in navigation, vectors are used to represent the direction and magnitude of an aircraft's velocity. In engineering, vectors are used to analyze forces and moments acting on structures. In video game programming, vectors are used to simulate motion and collisions of objects.