Angle Between Two Vectors & Components Calculation

• Thread starter dhruv_arora
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the angle between two vectors, find the component of a given vector along a specific direction, and understand the concepts of perpendicular and parallel vectors. The formulas for dot product and cross product are also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the formula for dot product and an explanation of what it means to find the component of a vector along a specific direction.
dhruv_arora

Homework Statement

1. How can i determine the angle between two vectors
2. The Component of vector ( a vector, given below ) along the direction of i+j
3. Let there be a vector and b vector , then find component the component of a vector along perpendicular direction of b vector.

Please also do tell me what do you mean by along the direction and perpendicular to some vector and projection.

Homework Equations

a vector=2i + 3j + 4k
b vector = 3i + 4j + 5k

The Attempt at a Solution

Not Attempted yet because didn't understand it's meaning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Search the relevant equations for dot product and cross product of the vectors, projection of one vector on the other vector from any textbook or web site.

Perpendicular (orthogonal) means that the vectors are at a 90 degree angle or pi/2 radians with each other.

Along, would mean they are parallel (angle between = 0)

As for the formulas:

A "dot" B = |A|*|B|*sin(angle between them) = AxBx + AyBy + AzBz

A "cross" B = A x B = |A|*|B|*sin(angle between them) = det( [i,j,k ; Ax,Ay,Az ; Bx,By Bz] )

iamthegelo said:
Perpendicular (orthogonal) means that the vectors are at a 90 degree angle or pi/2 radians with each other.

Along, would mean they are parallel (angle between = 0)

As for the formulas:

A "dot" B = |A|*|B|*sin(angle between them) = AxBx + AyBy + AzBz

A "cross" B = A x B = |A|*|B|*sin(angle between them) = det( [i,j,k ; Ax,Ay,Az ; Bx,By Bz] )

My physics teacher told me the formula is : A "dot" B = |A|*|B|*cos(angle between them) ( not sin )

dhruv_arora said:
My physics teacher told me the formula is : A "dot" B = |A|*|B|*cos(angle between them) ( not sin )
It is right. Since you know this formula why can't you find the angle between the vectors?

i founded it.
but i can't get what it means by " Find The component of Avec along the direction of i+j "

dhruv_arora said:

Oops, I remember changing that mistake, but yeah it is cosine.

A projection along i+j is the dot product of

Vector1 and Unit vector of i+j, it is the component of vector1 along the vector i+j.

What is the formula for calculating the angle between two vectors?

The formula for calculating the angle between two vectors is θ = cos^-1((a · b) / (|a| · |b|)), where a and b are the two vectors and |a| and |b| represent their magnitudes.

How do you find the components of a vector?

To find the components of a vector, you can use the formula c = |a| cos(θ) for the x-component and c = |a| sin(θ) for the y-component, where a is the magnitude of the vector and θ is the angle it makes with the x-axis.

Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

No, the angle between two vectors cannot be negative. The angle is always measured as the smallest absolute angle between the two vectors, and is therefore always positive.

What is the difference between the dot product and cross product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors results in a scalar quantity, while the cross product results in a vector quantity. The dot product measures the similarity or projection of one vector onto another, while the cross product measures the perpendicularity of the two vectors.

How does the angle between two vectors affect their resultant vector?

The angle between two vectors affects their resultant vector in two ways: magnitude and direction. The magnitude of the resultant vector is equal to the sum of the magnitudes of the two vectors added together, while the direction is determined by the angle between the two vectors.