1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vectors: solving for magnitude

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    Vector A, which is directed along an x axis, is to be added to vector B, which has a magnitude of 9.0 m. The sum is a third vector that is directed along the y axis, with a magnitude that is 6 times that of A. What is the magnitude of A? (Enter your answer to 4 significant figures.)

So I know that vector B is 9 m. With the given information, I made the assumption that vector A is Vector A + 9. And finally, the third vector, the sum, would be 6(vector A). Am I on the right train of thought with the problem? To solve for the missing variables, can I use a + b = c?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2
    Vectors have both magnitude and direction. You can't just add the magnitudes and ignore the directions. You will have to break up the vectors into x and y-components and add them. I suggest possibly drawing a picture.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook