1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors - Spanning sets

1. Nov 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a set of vectors:

S = {v[itex]_{1}[/itex], v[itex]_{2}[/itex], v[itex]_{3}[/itex], v[itex]_{4}[/itex][itex]\subset[/itex] ℝ[itex]^{3}[/itex]

a) Can S be a spanning set for ℝ[itex]^{3}[/itex]? Give reasons for your answer.
    b) Will all such sets S be spanning sets? Give a reason for your answer.

3. The attempt at a solution

a) Yes, because a linear combination of these vectors can form any given vector in ℝ[itex]^{3}[/itex].

b) Yes, don't really know a reason besides something similar to the one above, I can't see why not.

I'm not really sure of these answers, can anyone confirm this, or given any insight to understand this better?

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What about, {(1, 1, 0), (1, 2, 0), (3, 1, 0)}?

4. Nov 23, 2011 #3
    Well I guess since the 3rd elements are zero, you can't form a vector in ℝ[itex]^{3}[/itex] which has a non-zero 3rd element.

So part b is definitely a no. However part a "can" be since they haven't explicitly defined the vectors, so it's possible given that zero/non-zero condition, is that the only reason?

5. Nov 24, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In general, a set with fewer than n vectors cannot span a vector space of dimenson n but a set with n or more vectors may. A set with more than n vectors cannot be independent but a set with n or fewer may. Only with sets with exactly n vectors is it possible to both span and be independent (a basis).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook