Resolving Tensions in a Suspended Sign: A Trigonometric Approach

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the tension in two cables that are holding a 50 N sign suspended. The initial solution provided by the teacher assumed that T1 = 1/2T2, which was found to be incorrect. It was then suggested to use the parallelogram method to find the tensions, but it was also found to be incorrect. The correct method was to use equilibrium conditions and redraw the diagram to only include the necessary forces. The conversation also touched on the possibility of having a 90 degree angle in the diagram, but it was concluded that it was not necessary for the solution.
jrcdude

Homework Statement

A 50 N sign is suspended by two cables that make angles of 25 degrees and 70 degrees with the horizontal. Determine the tension in each cable.

Homework Equations

Cosine law, sine law, or trig

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the teacher's answer is wrong. She did it the same way as the following person:

attachment.php?attachmentid=35930&stc=1&d=1306362437.jpg

I did it with the exact same diagram, same angles, but instead of using sine and cosine law, I just used normal trig and divided the tension in half for the triangle's vertical component, resulting in a different answer for the tensions.

This leads me to the conclusion that both answers are wrong, because you cannot just assume there is a 90 degree angle for where the tension hits the horizontal.

Is this assumption correct, and can I have a proper way to do this, with a proper answer?

Attachments

• tension.jpg
    tension.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,017
Physics news on Phys.org
jrcdude said:
I did it with the exact same diagram, same angles, but instead of using sine and cosine law, I just used normal trig and divided the tension in half for the triangle's vertical component, resulting in a different answer for the tensions.

Due to the cables being at different angles, the tension in each one would be different. You assumed that T1 = 1/2T2.

jrcdude said:
This leads me to the conclusion that both answers are wrong, because you cannot just assume there is a 90 degree angle for where the tension hits the horizontal.

Is this assumption correct, and can I have a proper way to do this, with a proper answer?

From the triangle formed, it was assumed that the sign was straight when being held such that a perpendicular line was drawn from the vertex to the base.

I actually mean that the 50N downward force was divided into 2, so there would be a 25N force on each side for the vertical. This is based off of parallelogram properties.

jrcdude said:
I actually mean that the 50N downward force was divided into 2, so there would be a 25N force on each side for the vertical. This is based off of parallelogram properties.

The vertical components of the tension are not the same, so they do not take up the same amount of load.

Based on the diagram provided above, wouldn't they have to? Looking at the top triangle:

cos65 = adj/T1

and looking at the bottom triangle:

cos65 = adj/T1

Therefore they should be same, as based on the fact that parallelograms' diagonals bisect.

jrcdude said:
Based on the diagram provided above, wouldn't they have to? Looking at the top triangle:

cos65 = adj/T1

and looking at the bottom triangle:

cos65 = adj/T1

Therefore they should be same, as based on the fact that parallelograms' diagonals bisect.

I am not sure why the entire parallelogram was drawn since the actual forces are only one half so you'd really have the triangle. How it is drawn, it looks like the sign is supported by four cables and not two. They would be the same, but in the analysis, you doubled it all which lead to halving of the 50 N force.

Do you think you could please draw a proper diagram for me? I am not understanding what you are saying.

jrcdude said:
Do you think you could please draw a proper diagram for me? I am not understanding what you are saying.

It would look like this:

http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/7325/diagrami.png

How it was drawn in the solution, it looked like there were four cables holding it in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is it fair to say you cannot use the parallelogram method, because it would have a different vertical tension on each side of the parallelogram?

jrcdude said:
So is it fair to say you cannot use the parallelogram method, because it would have a different vertical tension on each side of the parallelogram?

No you can, it is reduced to the triangle in the same way. To get the forces such that the resultant of T1 and T2 is 50, you'd need to use either the left half or right half of your diagram (which is reduced to the same as mine).

What is stopping this from happening then? (Where the 2 points do not connect)

attachment.php?attachmentid=35932&stc=1&d=1306366984.png

Attachments

• tens2.png
    tens2.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 639
My diagram is badly drawn for the intent of the parallelogram law, mine would be better suited for using equilibrium conditions. Nothing is to stop it from looking like yours, it is just that you'd need to redraw it better with the 50 N being vertical like in your original diagram.

In the analysis, you'd just choose one half of the parallelogram and do the analysis there.

Looking at it like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=35934&stc=1&d=1306368209.png

Now I'm wondering if it's possible to have a 90 degree angle for the vertical, while still connect to make the parallelogram. Wouldn't the diagonal line represent the 50 N force, and the 2 lines going to the horizontal add up to be 50, but are different values?

Attachments

• tens2.png
    tens2.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 568
My main problem with understanding this, is shouldn't the line that I added to your picture:

attachment.php?attachmentid=35935&stc=1&d=1306369603.png

be perpendicular, resulting in 25N of force on each side?

I do not understand why you cannot do this.

Attachments

• tens3.png
    tens3.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 598
jrcdude said:
My main problem with understanding this, is shouldn't the line that I added to your picture:

attachment.php?attachmentid=35935&stc=1&d=1306369603.png

be perpendicular, resulting in 25N of force on each side?

I do not understand why you cannot do this.

I can't say if that line joining the two end points would be perpendicular. But you can draw from one end point to the vertical line to be 90 degrees.

1. What is a vector in physics?

A vector in physics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with its length proportional to its magnitude.

2. How is tension represented in vector notation?

Tension is represented in vector notation as a force vector, with its direction pointing away from the object in the direction of the force. Its magnitude is equal to the magnitude of the force applied.

3. How do you calculate the tension in a system of objects connected by ropes or strings?

To calculate the tension in a system of objects connected by ropes or strings, you must first draw a free-body diagram and identify all the forces acting on each object. Then, use Newton's second law (F=ma) to determine the net force on each object, and finally, use the principle of equilibrium to calculate the tension in each string.

4. What factors affect the tension in a rope or string?

The tension in a rope or string is affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the angle of the rope or string with respect to the horizontal, and the weight of the object(s) attached to the rope or string.

5. How does the tension in a string vary with the angle of the string?

The tension in a string varies with the angle of the string as the angle increases, the tension in the string also increases. This is because as the angle increases, the vertical component of the tension decreases while the horizontal component remains constant, resulting in a greater overall tension.