Task1: Vector Triangle: Calculate Resulting Speed

You have the speed coming from the north with a magnitude of 3m/s. This can be represented as a vector with a length of 3cm. The resulting speed of the iceberg will be the hypotenuse of the triangle formed by the stream, wind, and iceberg speed vectors. You can use geometry or trigonometry to calculate the magnitude of the resulting speed. In summary, the task is to calculate the resulting speed of an iceberg floating with the stream and wind, using geometry or trigonometry, given the speed of the stream coming from the north at 3m/s.
supersander
I'm having my semester test tomorrow, and I got this task from my teacher to do before the semester test.
:
By decomposition of forces apply these formulas for a right triangle:

21difly.png

Task1:

An iceberg floats with the stream and wind. The power comes straight from the north with speed 3m / s. Draw this vector where the resulting speed of the iceberg to come forward as a vector. 1 cm shall be equal to 1 m / s. Calculate how large the resulting speed is using geometry or trigeometri.Would be very happy if anyone could help me with this, thank you very much!my attempt:

to the calculate resulting speed:

2ztip2a.png

How is this? and how do i draw this as a vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is some information missing, and the problem statement has a weird grammar.
Please post the full, exact problem statement, or try to find a better translation if the original is not English.

supersander said:
and how do i draw this as a vector?
In the same way the triangle is drawn.

1. How do I calculate the resulting speed in a vector triangle?

To calculate the resulting speed in a vector triangle, you will need to use the Pythagorean theorem. This states that the square of the hypotenuse (the longest side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, the hypotenuse represents the resulting speed, and the other two sides represent the individual speeds in the x and y directions.

2. What are the steps for solving a vector triangle?

The steps for solving a vector triangle are as follows:

1. Identify the given information, including the magnitude and direction of the vector components.
  2. Draw a vector triangle, using the given information to label the sides and angles.
  3. Use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the resulting vector.
  4. Use trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) to calculate the direction of the resulting vector.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a vector triangle?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a vector triangle. Most scientific calculators have functions for calculating trigonometric functions, which are necessary for solving vector triangles. However, it is still important to understand the underlying principles and steps for solving a vector triangle.

4. How do I know if my answer is correct for a vector triangle?

To check if your answer is correct for a vector triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. Calculate the magnitude of the resulting vector using your answer, and then compare it to the magnitude calculated using the individual vector components. If they are the same, then your answer is correct.

5. Can I use vector triangles in real-life situations?

Yes, vector triangles are commonly used in real-life situations, especially in physics and engineering. They can be used to calculate the resulting velocity of an object after being affected by multiple forces, or the resulting force of multiple forces acting on an object. They are also used in navigation and mapping, as well as in various sports and games.