1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vectors with uknowns problem

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A= (5.00 -7.00 ) units, B= (-7.00 + 2.00 ) units, and C= (27.0 + 20.0 ) units, determine a and b such that aA+ bB + C = 0.

2. Relevant equations
    What I did to try and figure this out was solve for a and got the result of
    a = -bB - C/ A

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did to try and solve this equation was plug that in for a, and take all the magnitudes of the vectors that are stated above but when i proceeded to do that everything would just cancel out when attempting to solve for b at that point. Any help would be great thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

You can't divide vectors like that. Secondly i take it that A=(5.00 , -7.00) is what you meant right? The way you have written it now suggests A=-2.

Plugging the components of the vectors into the vector equation will give you two "normal" equations. Since you have two unknowns and two equations you can solve a and b.

[tex]
    \begin{align}
    &5a-7b+27=0
    \\
    &-7a+2b+20=0
    \end{align}
    [/tex]

4. Jun 4, 2009 #3
    yes it was A = (5i, -7j), and thank you very much for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook