Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vegan Restaurant

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I went to a Vegan Restaurant today for lunch and ended up ordering hummus and some vegetable barley soup. It was really good, but most of the food on the menu creeped me out. Here are some of the items on the menu:

Ham and Cheese Sandwich

Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks

Cheesesteak

Turkey Melt

Anyone else noticing a problem??

I know that they are probably using imitation meat and whatnot, but it seems kinda silly to me. I guess I have a philosophical disagreement with this group of vegans on this matter.

If your selling vegan food don't you think you should work on making good tasting, openly vegan dishes instead of trying to imitate meat?

I'm not a vegan so I'll be happy to hear any vegan's opinion on this matter.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

I'm not a vegan, either, but I have the same conceptual problem that you do. I have a vegan neighbor and he grills up "sausages" made of soy protein. I can see not wanting to eat meat, but not wanting to eat meat while pretending to eat meat is a bit silly.

There are lots of times when I make vegetable dishes, not because I don't eat meat, but because they can taste really good. Lentil soup, black bean dip, barley-and-bean soup, etc, etc. Why have fake stuff on the menu when you can serve curried rice, and other stuff that tastes great? I've made some great-tasting wraps from soft flour tortillas, home-made black bean dip, vegetables, and my home-made salsa. Low-fat tasty and very healthy for you.

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Like the Linda McCartney stuff in supermarkets. Recreates the authentic taste of discount supermarket frozen burgers without meat - what an acheivement.

Maybe the other way round could work? New improved cattle feed - looks and tastes just like cow feed but is made from diseased sheep brains. What could go wrong?

5. Nov 10, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's like the "meatless chicken" frozen dinner my friend bought. What is "meatless chicken", is it just the bones?

6. Nov 10, 2008 #5
    What do you know, it turns out I'm a vegan.

7. Nov 10, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

"No chickens were harmed in the preparation of this meal."

just poor innocent soybeans that CAN'T run away....

8. Nov 10, 2008 #7

matthyaouw

Gold Member

One of my favourite places to eat is a vegetarian place, even though I'm not vegetarian. They do some excellent dishes using no meat sustitutes at all, but do include some fake meat in some of their stuff. I guess they have to listen to what their customers want, and if they like fake meat that's what they'll buy.
    Why do you guys disagree with vegans eating meat substitutes?

9. Nov 10, 2008 #8

turbo

Gold Member

It's not a "disagreement" IMO, just a logical disconnect. Why eat some heavily-processed ersatz meat, when you can have really good dishes made from minimally-processed vegetables. I don't get the attraction. Dishes made from rice, beans, onions, potatoes, grains, etc can be wonderful, so why adulterate them with processed food products?

10. Nov 10, 2008 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Who is having a tofurkey for Thanksgiving?

11. Nov 10, 2008 #10

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not that I disagree with vegans eating fake meat. They can do what they want. What I mean is that the fake meat turns me off of veganism. It makes veganism less attractive to me. I'd rather my meals be open about not containing meat, rather than trying to replace meat with tofu. I think the fake meat actually takes away from many vegan dishes.

12. Nov 10, 2008 #11

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:yuck::yuck::yuck:

13. Nov 10, 2008 #12

Danger

Gold Member

More importantly, why eat some heavily-processed ersatz meat, when you can have meat? :confused:

14. Nov 10, 2008 #13

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Vegetarians need fake meat - all of those commercials about cheesestakes - nothing to kill that temptation like a good vegetarian cheesestake hmmm :approve: .... :yuck:

15. Nov 10, 2008 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now if you could make veggie bacon sandwiches that tasted like the real thing - you could really cleanup.

16. Nov 10, 2008 #15

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess that is one of the principles of veganism - if we could have veggie bacon register in our brain as real bacon - humans would not need to kill. Yes we would all be dispelled of the brainwashing that humans need meat.

We would then collectively proceed to contract all types of diseases and become emaciated as well as unhappy.

I've had friends who were vegetarians and they were always unhappily searching for novel types of foods. They were really creative at conjuring up new dishes.

17. Nov 10, 2008 #16
    ugh, veganism creeps me out. veganism is unhealthy and should only be practiced by consenting adults lacking reproductive capacity. if i hear of one more story of neurologically damaged babies from vegan mothers... :mad:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  18. Nov 10, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

My vegan neighbor is heavily reliant on my chili relishes, salsas, etc, to make his tofu dogs and tofu sausages palatable. That's OK, because he is generous with his fruits and vegetables, and got me established as a garlic-grower.

19. Nov 10, 2008 #18

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm mostly veggie for the same reason as Turbo said - why have curry made from bland textureless and tasteless factory chicken when you can make much nicer vegetable curry.

Apparently the bacon sandwich is known as 'vegetarian kryptonite' - you have to be a pretty committed vegetarian to resist !

20. Nov 10, 2008 #19
    Does this really happen? I have known many vegans, but none that have been in "child bearing years".

21. Nov 10, 2008 #20

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are breast feeding and vegan you should take B12 supplements (if you are vegan you probably want to take B12 anyway).
    On the other hand if you are veggie you are probably stocked to the eyeballs with folic acid which is also important.

Given the choice of vegan mother who breastfeeds and feeds them fresh fruit and veg and a 'normal' mother that gives the kids formula and then fast food for the next 18years - I know where my health concerns would be.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?