Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vegetable Oil conversion for diesel engines

1. Mar 5, 2005 #1
    Does anyone know if there have been any posts on the vegetable oil to diesel conversions. I am very interested in the topic, but couldn't find anything yet. I guess if there is nothing yet posted, this could be the new post.

I'll try and get some of the info that I have and post it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

If you add alcohol and a catalyst you can convert many vegtable oils to biodiesel and many late model vehicles can run on B100 (100% biodiesel) without modifications. Some older vehicles need upgraded fuel lines and so on to run full B100 but can run lower concentrations.

Given the viscosity difference between diesel fuel and regular vegtable cooking oil, the conversion seems the only way to get the fluid through the filters and handle any temperature swings on the cold side.

There are many biodiesel forums that would have more comprehensive details, but do share what info you have.
  4. Mar 6, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think we can talk about this without at least mentioning tha fact that fuel tax must be paid if the vegetable oil is for road use. Check with your local authorities before filling up.
  5. Mar 7, 2005 #4
    Nooo, its not being used for fuel....ehhhemm....its just something that I use as a ballast weight (yeah, thats it) for balancing the CG point of the vehicle. This way, as the REAL fuel is consumed, the CG of the vehicle stays constant....

ok, just kidding about that.

Yep fuel taxes have to be paid I guess. As long as I am in the experimentation phase, I think that I am going to be ok. I don't even have a diesel yet. Oh well.

I have nothing new to share, but hope to in the near future.

Please support our troops
  6. Mar 8, 2005 #5
    Originally Dr. Diesel had intended for his engine to run off or peanut oil, only he had problems with his initial test phases. In case anyone is interested, the following is a link that I came across when a co-worker showed me a veggie-car in a VW magazine:

THere are other sites, and I'll try and post them when I find them.
  7. Mar 9, 2005 #6
    Fuel tax is a tax (in most countries anyway) levied on the financial transaction of a fuel at the point of sale. Dont sell it! Fuel for free.. $$ to wipe your windshield! In any case, like homebrew alcohol - no problem until you try and sell it.
  8. Mar 9, 2005 #7
    In fact, the original aim was to run on coal dust but that proved impractical and he moved on to oils, including peanut oil.

9. Mar 9, 2005 #8

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here in the UK you have to declare fuel for road use to Customs & Excise, for vegetable oil I believe it's around 45p per litre at the moment. It makes no odds whether you sell it or not, you're using it as road fuel. It's the same issue as farmers being required to declare any red diesel used for road purposes.
  10. Mar 9, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Mar 9, 2005 #10
  12. Nov 5, 2005 #11

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You made that post about the cooking oil in Sept 2004. They just recently aired a show about a homebrewer, demonstrating his simple technique of making biodiesel from fat used in deep fryers. He gets the used oil for free from a local Spanish restaurant. You could tell he made lots of this. At the end he poured his homebrew into his vehicle and off he drove. Get's you thinkin' doesn't it :rolleyes:
  13. Oct 6, 2006 #12
    Go to google and search BioDiesel and look for a guy named Mike Pelly...
    His recipe rocks!!!

I just recently made my first successful batch of BioDiesel from WVO...

What a Rush man!!!!
  14. Oct 6, 2006 #13
    Bio Diesel

Hey there,

I would like to know what the significance is of using Sulfiric Acid in the making of the diesel...

And also how much do you need to use......

I actually just found out that it hunts for FFA's (free fatty acids) and attaches them to the methanol and I think in that it takes out more FFA's than normal etc...

But none who use this says how much to use!

Please can anyone help?

Wezzo :confused:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?