Vegetarian Meals: Tasty & Affordable for Vegans

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I don't think meat substitutes can ever really compare to the real thing. If you're considering going vegetarian, be sure to do your research first and make sure you're getting all the nutrients your body needs.
arildno said:
Is Evo vying for the most-cryptic-reply award? :confused:
Read the two posts (mine and Moonbear's) both posted at the same time preceeding that post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I've read many recipes calling for canned chickpeas, so they seem acceptable. Yes, drain them, but you can reserve a bit of the liquid to use to thin it if necessary.

This recipe sounds good.

4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon salt
two 1-pound 3-ounce cans chick-peas, drained and rinsed
2/3 cup well stirred tahini
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1/2 cup olive oil, or to taste
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted lightly

The comments at the bottom were to reduce the amount of tahini, increase the lemon and omit the parsley.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/101577
Oooh, goody! I think I'm off to the store then! :biggrin:

Evo said:
Read the two posts (mine and Moonbear's) both posted at the same time preceeding that post.
Ok, you are rejected as a potential candidate.

One of my favorite vegetable dishes where it can be a main course and you don't miss the meat is Ratatouille. I got the recipe from my mother and it is simple. Sautee one diced onion and 3-4 cloves of garlic in olive oil, add one chopped eggplant, 1-2 zucchini (sliced or chopped), 1 bell pepper (chopped), add a 15oz can of diced tomatoes (you can use fresh chopped), stir, add a drizel of olive oil, salt to taste, and cook until done, stirring occasionally (vegetables should be soft). This is heavenly stuff eaten hot or cold. Some people add herbs, but to me herbs overpower this dish, trust me, it doesn't need them.

Ok, I'm making ratatouille and hummus tonight. :tongue2:

Evo said:
One of my favorite vegetable dishes where it can be a main course and you don't miss the meat is Ratatouille. I got the recipe from my mother and it is simple. Sautee one diced onion and 3-4 cloves of garlic in olive oil, add one chopped eggplant, 1-2 zucchini (sliced or chopped), 1 bell pepper (chopped), add a 15oz can of diced tomatoes (you can use fresh chopped), stir, add a drizel of olive oil, salt to taste, and cook until done, stirring occasionally (vegetables should be soft). This is heavenly stuff eaten hot or cold. Some people add herbs, but to me herbs overpower this dish, trust me, it doesn't need them.

Ok, I'm making ratatouille and hummus tonight. :tongue2:

Oh, yes, that's a good recipe. The funny thing is, I thought I "invented" it on my own...I never knew what ratatouille was, but wound up with that combination of ingredients (except it was fresh tomato rather than canned) in one of my typical one-pot grad school meals. Sometimes I added some chicken to it though (it was a good way of stretching one chicken breast to cut it into small pieces, brown it, and add it to all the veggies and get a few meals out of it).

Actually, you can make many variations on a theme if you start out with some tomatoes, peppers (now that I can afford more expensive vegetables, I prefer sweeter peppers than the green ones...red, orange or yellow, with my preference being the orange or yellow ones; I don't taste much difference between the two of those and they add more color to the dish), garlic and olive oil. You can add pretty much any other vegetables to that and have a good meal to serve over pasta, rice, or as a side dish.

Last night I started with that base (oh, no, I left out tomatoes), and added zucchini, portabello mushrooms and sweet potato (sliced very thinly so it would cook at the same time as the other vegetables) and a little drizzle of balsamic vinegar and just a sprinkle of salt and black pepper. That one I baked because of the sweet potato, but often I sautee.

Let's see, I've used that base with spinach or other bitter leafy vegetables and added pine nuts to serve over penne pasta. Sometimes I just add mushrooms or eggplant or zucchini. I've cooked it with chicken and topped it with provolone cheese (almost like a chicken parmesan, but better). Pretty much any vegetable you have will go with it (I can't think of anything you couldn't cook with it). And, of course, don't be shy with that garlic! :biggrin: Everything tastes good if you add enough garlic. :approve:

Got hummus! Evo, thanks for the recipe! I'm munching on my freshly made hummus right now! I only used 1/2 cup of tahini because once I gave it a little taste, I realized that's the stuff that can get too strong too and give hummus a "burnt" taste, then I used the juice of a whole, large lemon (over 1/4 c, but less than 1/3 c), doubled the garlic (I'm convinced my garlic cloves are always small compared to the ones they use for recipes :wink:...I just love garlic), and only used about 1/4 c of water (I decided to add slowly rather than just put in the 1/2 c all at once since I know I like hummus thick...and good thing I did).

Oh, but this is just so divine now! And so easy too. :approve:

Evo said:
The tomato sauce must have been the killer. I can't imagine blue cheese and tomato sauce. Sounds like you had a nice quiche there.

I guess i shouldn't have poured the sauce all over first, now if i can just
get rid of this belly ache.

wolram said:
I guess i shouldn't have poured the sauce all over first, now if i can just
get rid of this belly ache.
I'll come over and rub your belly with my mother's cure for bellyaches.

I am afraid to ask: what would that be?

Moonbear said:
Maybe Monique needs to write a vegetarian cookbook. At least her recipes sound tasty and are not just meat-based recipes without the meat. :approve:
That's sweet, I don't know how the general public would like my recipes though :smile:

Since we are talking about vegetables, yesterday night (at 1 am :biggrin:) I made my first ever artichoke.. it was like a journey into another world eating that vegetable! :eek:

I just boiled it into salty water and then started pulling the leaves off and eating the flesh that was stuck to it, at first I was planning to count the leaves but then underneath there were another 100s or so smaller leaves :eek: there seemed to be coming no end to it and when I pulled away the last final few leaves (they have nastly little stingers on the top of their leaves) there was this jungle of fibres underneath! :eek: so after wondering what to do I cut those away and got to the artichoke heart :approve: soo tasty! it should be fun to eat it while watching a movie, I was chewing on it like you would do chicken legs for like half an hour.. next time I will have to make a sauce to dip the leaves into.

Evo said:
I'll come over and rub your belly with my mother's cure for bellyaches.

I have a tummyache evo :cry:

Moonbear said:
When you make it homemade, can you use chickpeas out of a can, or do you need to use the dried ones to make it taste good? If you use them out of the can, I assume you must drain the liquid and rinse, right?
I don't like the dried chickpeas at all. I soak them for 24 hours, then boil them for ~3 hours and they still are a bit starchy and undercooked. I use the dried ones to mash into a paste, the ones in pots for cooking (give a good rinse). I once found a grasshoppers head in my dried lentils, always make sure you check for stones/insects.

Having a stock of pulses/beans is a good idea for a vegetarian. I've got some varieties of lentils (red ones, yellow ones), chickpeas, black eyed peas, mung beans etc. 4.4 lbs (2 kg) only costs €3.

I sometimes also use boiled hazlenuts into my dishes, when they are on sale, or peanuts/walnuts (put them in in the beginning so that they can soften).

Monique said:
Since we are talking about vegetables, yesterday night (at 1 am :biggrin:) I made my first ever artichoke.. it was like a journey into another world eating that vegetable! :eek:

I just boiled it into salty water and then started pulling the leaves off and eating the flesh that was stuck to it, at first I was planning to count the leaves but then underneath there were another 100s or so smaller leaves :eek: there seemed to be coming no end to it and when I pulled away the last final few leaves (they have nastly little stingers on the top of their leaves) there was this jungle of fibres underneath! :eek: so after wondering what to do I cut those away and got to the artichoke heart :approve: soo tasty! it should be fun to eat it while watching a movie, I was chewing on it like you would do chicken legs for like half an hour.. next time I will have to make a sauce to dip the leaves into.
I usually order artichokes in restaurants as appetizers rather than cook them because they just seem to be more trouble than they're worth to prepare them; I've only made them a few times. To make it, you're supposed to cut off something like the top 1/3 (the part that's nothing but tough tips of leaves), and then use scissors to snip off the points from any other leaves you can get at. Then, if you cut the top right, it exposes the "choke" part (the fibrous stuff inside) and you scoop that out to get rid of it. Then you're just left with the more tender part of the leaves to suck the flesh off of and the heart.

I'd love suggestions of a good sauce for dipping the leaves. I've had good sauces in restaurants, but don't know how to make any of them. Usually I just resort to ranch dressing or something equally unexciting.

I do NOT like the ones that come in jars or cans. :yuck: They just don't taste right when they've been preserved like that.

Moonbear said:
I usually order artichokes in restaurants as appetizers rather than cook them because they just seem to be more trouble than they're worth to prepare them; I've only made them a few times. To make it, you're supposed to cut off something like the top 1/3 (the part that's nothing but tough tips of leaves), and then use scissors to snip off the points from any other leaves you can get at. Then, if you cut the top right, it exposes the "choke" part (the fibrous stuff inside) and you scoop that out to get rid of it. Then you're just left with the more tender part of the leaves to suck the flesh off of and the heart.
Artichokes are the easiest thing in the world to cook! Forget everything you read about cooking them. Just cut the stem off flush to make a flat bottom, rinse them under running water and put them, stem side down, into a large pot, all must be sitting side by side stem side down so that they will cook uniformly (usually you can get 3-4 average artichokes in). Cover with water and add 1-2 teaspoons of salt. (with time you'll figure out how much salt for your taste) Boil, preferably covered (to trap steam) for 35-45 minutes, or until a leaf falls off easily when the artichoke is touched with a fork.

I use a couple of deep slotted spoons to remove the artichokes to a collander to drain. Put them upside down to get all the trapped water out. But be careful it doesn't fall apart.

My favorite sauce is just melted butter with lemon and garlic. My girls and I have get togethers just to make and eat artichokes. YUM!

yomamma said:
I am afraid to ask: what would that be?
She would warm some oil that was lightly camphorated and rub your belly with it. It definitely soothed and relaxed an aching belly.

Evo said:
She would warm some oil that was lightly camphorated and rub your belly with it. It definitely soothed and relaxed an aching belly.

I thought my belly ache had gone, but it just came back
:cry: I realy, really need some one to rub warm camphorated oil on it.

wolram said:
I thought my belly ache had gone, but it just came back
:cry: I realy, really need some one to rub warm camphorated oil on it.
Awww, poor Wolram, I'll be right over. :smile:

Evo said:
Artichokes are the easiest thing in the world to cook! Forget everything you read about cooking them. Just cut the stem off flush to make a flat bottom, rinse them under running water and put them, stem side down, into a large pot, all must be sitting side by side stem side down so that they will cook uniformly (usually you can get 3-4 average artichokes in). Cover with water and add 1-2 teaspoons of salt. (with time you'll figure out how much salt for your taste) Boil, preferably covered (to trap steam) for 35-45 minutes, or until a leaf falls off easily when the artichoke is touched with a fork.

I use a couple of deep slotted spoons to remove the artichokes to a collander to drain. Put them upside down to get all the trapped water out. But be careful it doesn't fall apart.

My favorite sauce is just melted butter with lemon and garlic. My girls and I have get togethers just to make and eat artichokes. YUM!
That's to the word how I did it :approve: I'll try your sauce next time. The fun part is sitting down with the thing and taking your time getting to the heart, you can make a whole diner party around it :smile:

Evo said:
Awww, poor Wolram, I'll be right over. :smile:

Thank you Evo :!) :!)

I am saving all these pages for future use, can Monique, Evo, or Moobear
suggest a list of spices and herbs to store please.

I've always loved palm hearts, but I found out that harvesting the buds kills the trees and that most of the palm hearts available in supermarkets are from wild stands in South America which are being destroyed. :cry:

Hmmm, it appears that Costa Rica exports a commercially cultivated new type that doesn't kill the tree if they are careful. I will have to check labels. I LOVE PALM HEARTS.

wolram said:
I am saving all these pages for future use, can Monique, Evo, or Moobear
suggest a list of spices and herbs to store please.
Nice, I'll contribute a few recipes later.

My spice cabinet:
cardamom powder & seeds (expensive)
chillis (I keep them frozen)
cinnamon
cloves
coriander powder & fresh leaves
cumin powder & seeds
curry powder
fennel seeds
fermented soy bean paste (bottle)
fetsin (monosodium glutamate)
five spice powder
fresh ginger
garam masala
garlic cloves
ginger sauce (bottle)
herb de provence
mustard seeds
nutmeg
pete beans (keep them frozen) these are hard to get, but one bean gives a wonderful 'thai' flavor to a dish
safron
shaohsing (rice wine)
soy sauce (sweet and salty)
sweet chilli powder
turmeric
wasabe (a tube)
white wine vinegar

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
I wouldn't know without tasting it, but my argument is just that it ISN'T French silk pie, so don't call it that and pretend that it is as if you aren't missing out on indulgences that include dairy and eggs. Obviously, if someone is going through the trouble to call it French silk pie, they are missing and craving French silk pie, or else they'd call it apple-banana-chocolate pie.

That can be arranged... :biggrin: :biggrin: one of the few dessert recipies I have perfected was a form of dark chocolate mousse pie. It comes out fantastic, and the texture and flavo(u)r is similar to real mousse pie, but with less fat and calories.

The best thing about this recipie is that the tofu only adds texture, and does not alter the flavor. The primary factor of determining the quality of the pie is the chocolate morsels, that alone will determine whether it turns out bitter or super-sweet. I experiment and find semi-sweet morsels that don't taste too bitter, so that it doesn't overwhelm the dish. This dessert will come out very rich in taste, and choosing the right chocolate morsels will make it irresistible.

1 block of Silken soft tofu (not just soft, but silken). This can be bought at most supermarkets, at least in the US.
1 bag of chocolate morsels (semi-sweet or otherwise) note: as I have mentioned before, this one ingredient will make or break the dish, choose the selection of chocolate carefully. I prefer a milder form of morsels so that it doesn't overwhelm the taste. Vegans should avoid the milk chocolate morsels obviously, and should stay with semi-sweet.
1 pie crust
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Equipment: blender, frying pan, spatula (to stir the chocolate morsels), refrigerator.

Place the chocolate morsels on a frying pan and set it on a burner for low heat until the morsels melt. Stir it around for consistency and once its ready (there should be no clumps and the chocolate should be very smooth), pour the melted chocolate into the blender along with the block of tofu. Blend it until both have mixed in, and make sure that errant chunks of tofu are still not present, this may take a few minutes and some stirring around occasionally in order to achieve a homogeneous mixture of chocolate and tofu.

Once this is done, pour the mixture into the pie crust, smooth out the consistency, and place in the refridgerator for a few hours to cool.

To serve: Take a butter knife, wet it, then slice into the pie.

There is a way to turn this into a cheesecake, but I am unsure how this is done.

Moonbear: This will (depending on quality of morsels) be a much better chocolate silk pie alternative than that applesauce and banana mixture you saw earlier.

Wow, you ladies are splitting atoms, and I'm chipping stone, you should get
together and wright a book :biggrin:

To add to Monique's list -

basil
dill
marjoram
mustard powder
oregano
sage
sesame oil
thyme

I also love gumbo, and it ISN'T GUMBO if it doesn't contain GUMBO FILE POWDER (filé) (powdered sassafras leaves). This is what makes gumbo taste like gumbo. Without this spice, it's just a stew. If you eat or make gumbo without this ingredient, you aren't eating gumbo. I am sad to say that when members here posted gumbo recipies, no one listed gumbo filé powder. :frown: You people have no idea what real gumbo tastes like and that's very sad. :cry: It's to die for.

Since this is a vegetarian thread, I will post my dad's seafood gumbo recipe in another thread. It's the best seafood gumbo I've ever eaten.

Sea food is ok, isn't it? i can not give up every thing, i love sea food.
so come on Evo spill the beans, Please :biggrin:

1) Don't forget Rosemary and Cheyenne Pepper! :biggrin:

2) Artichokes are just another wonderful reason to eat LOTS of mayonaisse. :biggrin

3) I LIVE by the see food diet! If I see it - I EAT it. :biggrin: So yes, wollie - see food is OK. :biggrin:

I've got sun dried tomatoes in my cupboard, but don't know what to do with them.. anyone a suggestion?

Tsu said:
1) Don't forget Rosemary and Cheyenne Pepper! :biggrin:

2) Artichokes are just another wonderful reason to eat LOTS of mayonaisse. :biggrin

3) I LIVE by the see food diet! If I see it - I EAT it. :biggrin: So yes, wollie - see food is OK. :biggrin:

Thank heavens for that, i had just filled a 24 inch pot to plant my self in :biggrin:

wolram said:
Sea food is ok, isn't it? i can not give up every thing, i love sea food.
so come on Evo spill the beans, Please :biggrin:
Ok, I started a new recipe thread. Yummy recipes

Monique, can you post some of your recipes there, please? I remember a great kim chee recipe of yours. :!)

We should have a members recipes sticky thread, but we already have so many stickies. What do you guys think? Too many stickies?

Monique said:
I've got sun dried tomatoes in my cupboard, but don't know what to do with them.. anyone a suggestion?

Make some BREAD! And then one-day-express a loaf to ME!11 :-) I have a jar of home-canned tuna that is DELICIOUS on sun-dried tomato bread. YUMMM. :biggrin:

Evo said:
To add to Monique's list -

basil
dill
marjoram
mustard powder
oregano
sage
sesame oil
thyme

I also love gumbo, and it ISN'T GUMBO if it doesn't contain GUMBO FILE POWDER (filé) (powdered sassafras leaves). This is what makes gumbo taste like gumbo. Without this spice, it's just a stew. If you eat or make gumbo without this ingredient, you aren't eating gumbo. I am sad to say that when members here posted gumbo recipies, no one listed gumbo filé powder. :frown: You people have no idea what real gumbo tastes like and that's very sad. :cry: It's to die for.

Since this is a vegetarian thread, I will post my dad's seafood gumbo recipe in another thread. It's the best seafood gumbo I've ever eaten.

Gumbo file, yes, I have a recipe that includes that (and I have the file powder too). :approve: But, it also requires bay leaves, so add those suckers to the list (Woolie, you leave those whole and don't eat them, just let them flavor the food).

Oh, and for any of the dried herbs, if they start looking gray instead of green, they're too old and will taste more like dust than herbs. It always tastes better to use fresh, but not always practical.

Monique said:

I put them on sandwiches or cut them up into tossed salads (with vinaigrette dressing). You can also cook with them; they'll give a much richer, sweeter taste to a dish than if you use fresh tomatoes (or just add a few to a dish that uses fresh tomatoes for added flavor).

Moonbear said:
Gumbo file, yes, I have a recipe that includes that (and I have the file powder too). :approve:
You have just risen to the top of my culinary list! Someone outside of Louisiana or Texas that has even heard of gumbo file much less has it in their kitchen is rare. I wonder if it is available in Europe? It is very American, credited to the Choctaw Indians.

But, it also requires bay leaves, so add those suckers to the list (Woolie, you leave those whole and don't eat them, just let them flavor the food).
Good point! Don't break the leaves or eat them.

Oh, and for any of the dried herbs, if they start looking gray instead of green, they're too old and will taste more like dust than herbs. It always tastes better to use fresh, but not always practical.
Sometimes for the more obscure herbs in my pantry, my clue not to use them is when the bottles have gathered dust. :redface:

http://www.seasonedpioneers.co.uk/portal.php?Type=Ingredient&Name=File+Powder&source=google&ad=filepowder

A uk supplyer of gumbo file.

Last edited by a moderator: