Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vehicle coolant modelling

1. Sep 20, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I had been communicating with Chestermiller for the past many months and I modeled the exhaust gas flowing through the pipe of a car.

Now, I had problems with the temperature sensor used, so this model couldn't be applied very well and its been a difficult time due to that. I have to complete this project by the end of this month, and I see no way out. I really need the help of you all.

At this point I have data for the following :
    1. Vehicle Speed
    2. Acceleration log (I created this one from the vehicle speed, by slope values between consecutive readings)
    3. Engine Speed
    4. Air flow into the engine (kg/s)
    5. Coolant Temperature at the thermostat side

Is there a way I could model, either through available literature or equations in physics -
    1. The Coolant cold-side temperature
    2. The mass flow rate of the coolant

I need these two to calculate the ENERGY given off as heat through the coolant. So, I have a link that gives me the specific heat of the coolant at various temperatures. But I need some good estimate OR calculation for the coolant cold-side temperature and the mass flow rate as a function of any of the 5 'inputs' above.

This is rather urgent. I can understand if members won't give me answers directly, but quick guidance would really help. Thank you.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted