1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vehicle turning

1. Sep 6, 2009 #1
    Hello, I believe we have seen that when a car is travelling in high speed and wants to make a sharp turn, the outer wheels actually sort of like lift of the ground right? What is the cause of this? I was thinking that it might have something to do with moments about the inner wheels? Its has something to do with the centripetal acceleration and the centre of gravity am i right? I cant seem to link them together:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2009 #2
    I think the _inner_ wheels lift because of the centrifugal force acting at the center of mass is pulling outward.

I am drawing a picture where I am looking at the vehicle from the rear and the vehicle is curving to the left. The outer wheels act as a pivot and I am computing the torque about this pivot. Centrifugal force acts to the right at the center of mass which gives a clockwise torque . Gravity acts downward which gives a counter-acting counter-clockwise torque.

4. Sep 7, 2009 #3
    Oh so it doesn't have anything to do with the static friction between the tires and the ground?

5. Sep 7, 2009 #4
    Yes. The way I am thinking about it, the only role of friction is to enforce a non-slip pivot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook