1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocites in Different Reference Frames

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The Millenia is catching up to the Galaxa at a rate of 0.55c when the captian of the Millenia decides its time to fire a missle. He uses a laser range finder to determine the distance to Galaxa and then he fires a missle that is moving at a speed of 0.45c.

What speed does the Galaxa measure for a) the laser beam and b) the missle as they both approch the starship

2. Relevant equations

I belive i would be using the relativistic velocity transformation formula for this problem however I dont understand how it works.

v= V1+V2/(1+ V1V2/c^2)

Would i do the equation and solve for a value for the laser beam and then use that to find the value for the missle?

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using the known values for V1 and V2 but i got an answer of 1 and i dont know if that makes sense.

Thank you In advance for any help :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted