1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocities for a modified maxwell distribution (an interesting problem)

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a momentum distribution such that:

f([tex]\overline{p}[/tex]) = (2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*k*T*m)^(3/2)*exp(-p^2/(2*m*k*T))*(1+[tex]\epsilon[/tex]*cos([tex]\alpha[/tex])

where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the angle between [tex]\overline{p}[/tex] and [tex]\alpha[/tex]

a) what is the expectation value associated with U = <V_x> + <V_y> + <V_z>
    b) How many particles are passing though a unit area at any given time in the positive x-direction? The negative direction? Is this related to U_x

2. Relevant equations

The standard maxwell distribution is the first term in the momentum distribution given

3. The attempt at a solution
    So to start this isn't too terrible, at least at first: I start by noting that the cosine term is really just a dot product of the p-vector and the x-unit vector divided by their magnitudes and note the exp(-P^2/(2*m*k*T)) * (2*Pi*m*k*T)^(3/2) is the standard maxwell distribution and expand out into a sum of two terms:

f(P) = f(P)_standard distribution + (P_x)/sqrt((P_x)^2+(P_y)^2+(P_z)^2)*exp(-P^2/(2*m*k*T)*(2*Pi*m*k*T)^(3/2)

Now since I am looking only for one velocity component at a time I swap to the velocity representation. HOWEVER, I can not simply swap the last term in my sum into three separate terms for each velocity component because of the sqrt term associated with the exponential.

So before I continue on I deal with the first term in my sum, the standard f(v). Well since it is the standard form, the value of <V_i> is well known to be zero (due to the distribution being Gaussian with a mean of zero), so I can just drop it away and concentrate the the last term in the sum.

Since I can't get away with separating out the components I rewrite the equation in terms of spherical coordinates:

(the extra part:) f(v) = (m/(2*Pi*k*T))^(3/2)*v^2*(cos(theta)^2*sin(phi)^2)/v *exp(-m*v^2/(2*k*T))

I should note it may not be clear where the P_x went: I switch to the velocity distribution, and then note that in the spherical representation v_x = v*cos(theta)*sin(phi)

Ok so now I multiply by the volume element dV in the modified spherical coordinates to get

<V_x> = integral(integral(integral(v^3*cos(theta)^2*sin(phi)^3*exp(-m*v^2/(2*k*T)*(m/(2*pi*k*T)^(3/2)dtheta (from 0 to 2*Pi) dphi (from 0 to Pi) dV (from 0 to infinity))

which converges (I made a mistake in my earlier calculation that I just caught while typing this up, so now I am not sure how to make this integral work correctly, but I do know that it is finite, I think its a gamma function but I'll need to check again).

Anyway, following this same line of thought, if I now go ahead and subsitute in the values for V_y or V_z in spherical and multiply by the distribution and integrate I will find these terms are zero due to the orthogonality of the two spherical harmonics that are multiplied by the spherical harmonic for the expansion of the V_x term. (I.E for those that dislike the spherical harmonic argument I have at least one odd function under an integral after these multiplications that when integrated over a period vanish to zero, thus eliminating the rest of the integral).

So that more or less solves a).

What I am stuck on is solving b).

If I assume that I can take the vector distribution I have generated, I just need to integrate over the x-direction multiplied by a fixed area set by the y-z conditions. However, this raises a problem, since the last term is unable to be uncoupled the integration must still be over x,y, and z components; only this time I can't use the spherical argument to integrate because the y,z components can only be integrated between 0 and 1 not 0 to infinity such as the x direction. I thought about reworking the bounds in spherical coordinates to take this into account, but I feel this is a fool's pursuit. Any ideas?

Urgent help is needed on this one.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?