How Does a Rolling Ball's Velocity Change with Constant Acceleration?

• Thread starter Jess048
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, a rolling ball has an initial velocity of -1.5 m/s and after 2.2s has an average velocity of -0.23 m/s^2. It traveled a total of 2.006 m in that time interval.
Jess048
Question: A rolling ball has an initial velocity of -1.5 m/s.
a. If the ball has a constant acceleration of -0.23 m/s^2, what is its velocity after 2.2s?
b. What was its average velocity during that time interval?
c. How far did it travel in this time interval?

So far i got:
a. V= initial velocity + acceleration(time)
(-1.5m/s) + (-0.23m/s^2)(2.2s)=-2.006m/s

b. i know the formula for average velocity V= (d2- d1) / (t2 -t1). My problem is I'm not sure what to plug in for displacement. for time i plugged in 2.2s -0s this is where i am stuck.

c. I am not sure of the formula to solve this part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate displacement using simple kinematic relations.

Use v2 you calculated above.

You need not pay much attention to the negative sign given in velocity.it only indicated that the velocity is in the backward direction as from the general Cartesian conventions.
don't plug in the negative sign to get the value of velocity.

For next part you can use simple kinematic equations.

v[initial]= 1.5m/s
accln= -.23 m/s^2

Last edited:
Sry, but this still leaves me with the same problem I already figured out question a. I know the formula for question b, but my problem is I don't know what to put for displacement. How would i figure out d1 and d2 in the formula. For question c I am not sure how to solve this question so how would i begin.

Jess048 said:
Question: A rolling ball has an initial velocity of -1.5 m/s.
a. If the ball has a constant acceleration of -0.23 m/s^2, what is its velocity after 2.2s?
b. What was its average velocity during that time interval?
c. How far did it travel in this time interval?

So far i got:
a. V= initial velocity + acceleration(time)
(-1.5m/s) + (-0.23m/s^2)(2.2s)=-2.006m/s

b. i know the formula for average velocity V= (d2- d1) / (t2 -t1). My problem is I'm not sure what to plug in for displacement. for time i plugged in 2.2s -0s this is where i am stuck.

c. I am not sure of the formula to solve this part.

If you figure out c, you'll have calculated d2-d1.

I'm surprised you'd know the equation you used in a without knowing the equation for determining your position. The equation you used in a is just the derivative of your equation for position: [tex]s_f = s_i + v_i t + 1/2 a t^2[/tex]

Jess048 said:
i know the formula for average velocity V= (d2- d1) / (t2 -t1). My problem is I'm not sure what to plug in for displacement.

Hi Jess048! :smile:

You don't need displacement for this part.

For constant acceleration, the formula for average velocity is also (Vi + Vf)/2 … in other words, it's the average of the initial and final velocity.

The formulas do give the same result:

(df - di)/(tf - ti) = (atf^2/2 - ati^2/2)/(tf - ti) = (atf + ati)/2 = (Vf + Vi)/2. :smile:

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have distinct definitions. While speed is only concerned with the rate of motion, velocity also takes into account the direction of motion.

3. What are the units of velocity?

The units of velocity are typically meters per second (m/s) in the metric system and feet per second (ft/s) or miles per hour (mph) in the imperial system. However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) and knots (nautical miles per hour) are also used.

4. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the distance an object travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. Mathematically, it is represented as v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

5. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time it takes to make that displacement. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by taking the derivative of the object's position with respect to time.