Solve Velocity 4-Vector Homework

In summary, the directions from a source on the internet say to use the 4-vector technique to transform the velocity of an object to the target reference frame. First, the magnitude of the 4-vector is calculated using the square root of 1 plus the beta values for the x, y, and z directions. Next, the Lorentz transformation is used to transform the 4-vector into a 3-vector. Finally, the 3-vector is used to transform the velocity of the object into the target reference frame.
MikeLizzi

Homework Statement

Given
Space Time Coordinate of object <t, x, y, z> = <0, 0, 0, 0>
Velocity of object as Vector <betaX, betaY, betaZ> = <.866, 0 ,0>
Velocity of target reference frame as Vector <betaX, betaY, betaZ> = <-.866, 0 ,0>

Transform velocity of object to the target reference frame using the 4-vector technique.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]Following directions from a source on the internet...

Velocity as a 4-vector (tau, vx, vy, vz)
= <1, betaX, betaY, betaZ>
= <1, 0.866, 0.0, 0.0>

magnitude of 4-vector
= Sqrt( 1 + betaX * betaX + betaY * betaY + betaZ * betaZ )
= 1.3228590249909473

Velocity as a 4-vector normalized (tau, x, y, z)
= <1/magnitude, betaX/magnitude, betaY/magnitude, betaZ/magnitude>
= <0.7559384493044097, 0.6546426970976188, 0.0, 0.0>

Transform the 4-vector where L is the Lorentz Transform populated for the target velocity:
v' = Lv

resulting in v'(tau, x, y, z)
= <2.6454852575216505, 2.6183403845739543, 0.0, 0.0>

? I should be getting a vx value somewhere around .98c. Totally lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you think you're totally lost, I'm lost trying to figure out what you're doing. First, I suggest stating what the 4-vector technique is. Is that the Lorentz transformation of 4-vectors? Perhaps you could state the relevant transformation equations?

To give a start and also help you with some latex. If a particle has a velocity ##u## in the x-direction with gamma factor ##\gamma_u##, then its four-velocity is:

##(u_{\mu}) = (\gamma_u, \gamma_u u, 0,0)##

PeroK said:
To give a start and also help you with some latex. If a particle has a velocity ##u## in the x-direction with gamma factor ##\gamma_u##, then its four-velocity is:

##(u_{\mu}) = (\gamma_u, \gamma_u u, 0,0)##

That helps a lot. I am going to spend some time working the problem (and my latex).

MikeLizzi said:
That helps a lot. I am going to spend some time working the problem (and my latex).

I think I got it!
It took a couple days to learn latex but PeroK's hint and seeing the formulas clearly made me realize what I was doing wrong.

Here's the latex by the way (still working on format)

The Lorentz Transformation is defined as

$$\lambda=
\begin{bmatrix}

\gamma & -\gamma\beta_x & -\gamma\beta_y & -\gamma\beta_z \\
-\gamma\beta_x & 1+\frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_x^2}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_x\beta_y}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_x \beta_z}{\beta^2} \\

-\gamma\beta_y & \frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_x\beta_y}{\beta^2} & 1+\frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_y^2}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_y\beta_z}{\beta^2} \\

-\gamma\beta_z & \frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_x\beta_z}{\beta^2} & \frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_y\beta_z}{\beta^2} & 1+\frac{(\gamma -1)\beta_z^2}{\beta^2}

\end{bmatrix}
$$

Where v is the velocity of S with respect to S' and
$$\beta_x = v_x/c$$
$$\beta_y = v_y/c$$
$$\beta_y = v_y/c$$
$$\beta^2 = \beta_x^2 + \beta_y^2 + \beta_z^2$$
$$\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}$$

The velocity 4-vector in reference frame S' is defined as
$$u'_\mu=
\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma_{u'} \\
\gamma_{u'} u'_x \\
\gamma_{u'} u'_y \\
\gamma_{u'} u'_z
\end{bmatrix}
$$
Where u' is the 3-vector velocity of an object with respect to the S' reference frame and gamma is the gamma value using u'.

The velocity 4-vector in reference frame S is defined as
$$u_\mu=
\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma_{u} \\
\gamma_{u} u_x \\
\gamma_{u} u_y \\
\gamma_{u} u_z
\end{bmatrix}
$$
Where u is the 3-vector velocity of an object with respect to the S reference frame and gamma is the gamma value using u.

Thanks PeroK !

1. What is a velocity 4-vector?

A velocity 4-vector is a mathematical concept used in special relativity to describe the velocity of an object in four-dimensional space-time. It includes both the spatial components of velocity (x, y, z) and the time component (t), allowing for a more accurate representation of an object's movement.

2. How is a velocity 4-vector calculated?

A velocity 4-vector is calculated by multiplying the object's velocity (in meters per second) by the Lorentz factor, which takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity. The resulting vector has four components: (γv, γv_x, γv_y, γv_z), where γ is the Lorentz factor and v is the velocity of the object in meters per second.

3. What is the significance of a velocity 4-vector?

A velocity 4-vector is significant because it allows for a more accurate description of an object's motion in special relativity. It takes into account the effects of time and space on an object's velocity, which is important for understanding how objects move at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields.

4. How is a velocity 4-vector used in physics?

A velocity 4-vector is used in many areas of physics, including special relativity, particle physics, and cosmology. It is an essential tool for accurately describing the motion of objects at high speeds and in strong gravitational fields, and is used in calculations and equations related to these fields of study.

5. Are there any real-world applications of velocity 4-vectors?

Yes, velocity 4-vectors have practical applications in fields such as aerospace engineering, where the effects of high speeds and gravitational forces on objects are important to consider. They are also used in particle accelerators and in GPS technology, which relies on the principles of special relativity to accurately measure time and distance.