What is the acceleration of a falling coin?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about velocity and acceleration. The first part of the question asks for the distance the coin rolls before falling off the edge of a balcony. The second part asks for the acceleration of the coin during its fall. The book's answer is incorrect as it does not take into account the initial velocity of the coin. The forum members explain that the vertical velocity of the coin is 0m/s at the onset, while the horizontal velocity is 0.46 m/s. They also suggest a follow-up question of how far from the edge of the balcony the coin lands, which can be solved by considering the horizontal velocity, its change during the fall, and the time it falls for.
Barclay
Missing homework template due to originally being posted in other forum.
This is not a homework question so I have posted here.
<<Mentor note: This question is homework-like and therefore belongs in the homework forums. Please also refrain from excessive use of colours and font sizes.>>

The question relates to velocity and acceleration. I think the answer of the book is incorrect.

Description: A coin is rolled along the balcony edge at the steady speed of 0.46 m/s before falling off the edge after 2.4 seconds. It then accelerates due to gravity and hits the ground after 8 seconds at a speed of 78.4 m/s. Assume that no air resistance acts on the coin.

The first part of the question asks how far the coin rolls before falling off the edge of the balcony. I got this part correct with the answer 1.1 m.

The second part asks: calculate the acceleration of the coin during its fall.

My calculation is:

upload_2014-12-29_18-2-34.png

The book just writes

So the book seems to have forgotten that the initial velocity of the coin was 0.46 m/s. Have they just assumed that the coin started from 0 m/s velocity or am I missing something? Please advise. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me the velocity was .46 horizontally then vertically it starts at 0.

Barclay said:
or am I missing something?
Yes, you are. Remember that velocity is a vector.

Bandersnatch said:
velocity is a vector.

So that means the vertical velocity is 0m/s at onset (as jerromyjon said) and it is only the horizontal velocity that is 0.46 m/s ??

That's right.

Thanks all. This forum is great.

Don't let the "Thanks all" stop you ... keep posting if there's more to say

Well, if you care for a follow-up question to test your new understanding, perhaps you could try answering how far from the edge of the balcony the coin lands?

Bandersnatch said:
Well, if you care for a follow-up question to test your new understanding, perhaps you could try answering how far from the edge of the balcony the coin lands?

I think this is going to involve triangles, sine and cosine etc. That's beyond me at the moment. Maybe in a few months be able I'll look at this follow up question again

Barclay said:
I think this is going to involve triangles, sine and cosine etc. That's beyond me at the moment. Maybe in a few months be able I'll look at this follow up question again

No, you should be able to do it pretty much in your head. What is the horizontal velocity of the coin when it leaves the balcony? Does this change as it falls? How long does it fall?

What is velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is a measure of both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed or direction is changing.

How are velocity and speed different?

Velocity includes information about an object's direction of motion, while speed does not. Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What are the units for velocity and acceleration?

The SI unit for both velocity and acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2). However, other units such as miles per hour and kilometers per hour are also commonly used to measure velocity.

Can an object have a constant velocity and changing acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity and changing acceleration if its direction of motion is changing. This is because acceleration is a vector quantity and includes changes in both speed and direction.