1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity and Acceleration Equational Problem (need help making sense)

1. Sep 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A man is running at speed c (much less than the speed of light) to catch a bus already at a stop. At t=0, when he is a distance b from the door to the bus, the bus starts moving with the positive acceleration a. Use a coordinate system with x=0 at the door of the stopped bus.

Part A:
    What is xman(t), the position of the man as a function of time?
    Answer symbolically in terms of the variables b, c, and t.

2. Relevant equations

v(t) = V0+at

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that I need to use this equation:

v(t) = V0+at

But I am confused because the answer is: xman(t) = -b+ct. This doesn't make sense to me because in order to use this equation, c would need to be the acceleration, not the velocity. I tried reviewing the book and it really doesn't help. I know that the mans speed is constant, but with an acceleration c, wouldn't his velocity increase in time?

Sorry if this is a simple question, I just am trying to understand the foundations so that I can better apply myself later in the course. Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2014 #2
    Welcome to PF!

If you are asked to find displacement , why should you be using equation for finding velocity .

You need to use the equation x(t) = x0 + ut+(1/2)at2 .

Here x0 = -b , u=c , a=0 .

Does that make sense ?

4. Sep 9, 2014 #3
    Oh wow.... thanks!

I was looking through the equations that I know, and I couldn't arrive at the answer with anything that I had (so I thought). I immediately looked for an equation that looked similar to the answer, which was what I gave above. Thanks for making it clear, I didn't really ever think to set accel. to 0, which was what was made me stuck. I appreciate you helping me! :)

5. Sep 9, 2014 #4
    You are welcome :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted