1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity and acceleration

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Flash Maddie is running at a whopping velocity of 30 mph. She then sees Mr. T driving down the road straight towards her so she accellerates -5 mph/s for 10 seconds. what Is Maddie's velocity now. (In mph)

2. Relevant equations
    V = Change in distance / change in time
    a = change in velocity / change in time

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm just not sure how to approach the problem in general and I'm not sure how to approach the negative acceleration.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whilst you could in principle use those equations, this question is best solved using kinematics equations (of uniform acceleration).

4. Sep 30, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use this equation:
    Plug in the numbers you know, including any negative signs, and solve the equation. That will give you a key piece of information for solving the problem.

5. Sep 30, 2008 #4
    Hootenanny: What are these equations and how would I use them?
    Red Belly: Should I multiply -5 MPH/s by 10 and then subtract it from 30 mph?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  6. Sep 30, 2008 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's correct (with one minor correction, you should add the -50 to 30). In actual fact, both methods are identical:

[tex]a=\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t} = \frac{v_f-v_i}{\Delta t}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow v_f = v_i + a\Delta t[/tex]

Which is one of the kinematic equations I was refering to.

7. Sep 30, 2008 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It may be that swede's class has not quite gotten to the full set of kinematic equations ... at any rate, Hootenanny is entirely right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?