What is Maddie's final velocity after accelerating for 10 seconds?

In summary: So, for example, the kinematic equationv_f = v_i + a\Delta tis the same as\vec{v}_f = \vec{v}_i + \vec{a}\Delta tIn summary, Maddie's initial velocity is 30 mph, and her acceleration is -5 mph/s for 10 seconds. Using the kinematic equation, v_f = v_i + aΔt, we can calculate Maddie's final velocity to be 30 + (-5*10) = 30 - 50 = -20 mph. This means
swede5670

Homework Statement

Flash Maddie is running at a whopping velocity of 30 mph. She then sees Mr. T driving down the road straight towards her so she accellerates -5 mph/s for 10 seconds. what Is Maddie's velocity now. (In mph)

Homework Equations

V = Change in distance / change in time
a = change in velocity / change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just not sure how to approach the problem in general and I'm not sure how to approach the negative acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
swede5670 said:

Homework Statement

Flash Maddie is running at a whopping velocity of 30 mph. She then sees Mr. T driving down the road straight towards her so she accellerates -5 mph/s for 10 seconds. what Is Maddie's velocity now. (In mph)

Homework Equations

V = Change in distance / change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just not sure how to approach the problem in general and I'm not sure how to approach the negative acceleration.
Whilst you could in principle use those equations, this question is best solved using kinematics equations (of uniform acceleration).

Use this equation:

Plug in the numbers you know, including any negative signs, and solve the equation. That will give you a key piece of information for solving the problem.

Hootenanny: What are these equations and how would I use them?
Red Belly: Should I multiply -5 MPH/s by 10 and then subtract it from 30 mph?

Last edited:
swede5670 said:
Hootenanny: What are these equations and how would I use them?
Red Belly: Should I multiply -5 MPH/s by 10 and then subtract it from 30 mph?
Yes, that's correct (with one minor correction, you should add the -50 to 30). In actual fact, both methods are identical:

[tex]a=\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t} = \frac{v_f-v_i}{\Delta t}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow v_f = v_i + a\Delta t[/tex]

Which is one of the kinematic equations I was referring to.

It may be that swede's class has not quite gotten to the full set of kinematic equations ... at any rate, Hootenanny is entirely right.

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measurement of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is also a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (how much the velocity changes) and direction.

What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. While speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's motion, velocity is a vector quantity that also takes into account the direction of the object's motion.

How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) of an object by the time taken for that displacement. The formula for velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v represents velocity, Δx represents displacement, and Δt represents time.

What causes acceleration?

Acceleration is caused by a change in an object's velocity. This can occur due to a change in speed, direction, or both. It can also be caused by external forces acting on the object, such as gravity or friction.