1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity and acceleration.

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    velocity & acceleration PLZZZZ HELP ME!

:eek: hi i have this question from fowles anlaytical mechanics.It says

A racing car moves along a circular track of radius 'a'.The speed of the car varies with time as v=kt where k is a poistive constant.Show that the angle between the velocity vector and acceleration vector is 45 degrees when t= (a/k)^1/2

i took the equation of motion to be r= a cos[(kt^2)/a]+a sin[(kt^2)/a]
    then differentiated to get velocity and acceleration...i represented a particular portion of each velocity and acceleration as a unit vector p and q so as to reduce the size of the equations.HOwever when i try to calculate the angle between a and v..at that time..it doesnt come out to be 45..Can ne one please help ,me!!
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can determine both the tangential and radial (centripetal) components of velocity and acceleration at any instant. Make it easy on yourself and choose your coordinates for a given instant of time to be such that the tangential direction is, say, in the postitive y direction and the radial component in the x direction.

Then note that [itex]\vec v \cdot \vec a = v a \cos \theta[/itex] and you can explicitly evaluate the dot product since you know the components of each vector. What must t be in order for [itex]\theta[/itex] to be 45 degrees?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?