Perpendicular Velocity and Displacement in Particle Motion

In summary, the conversation was about proving two statements related to the path of a particle on a sphere and the relationship between velocity and acceleration when the particle is moving with constant speed. The first statement was demonstrated using the particle's displacement and velocity being perpendicular, while the second statement was proven by considering the unit tangent vector and the curvature. The conclusion was that both velocity and acceleration are perpendicular when the particle is moving with constant speed.
tifa8
Hi ! I have a intemediate calculus problem. I am seeing right now all about curves and motion curves.

Homework Statement

Show that 1. the path of a particle lies on a sphere if its displacement and velocity are always perpendicular
2.show that if the particle moves with constant speed then the velocity and acceleration are penperdicular.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.I think that it is obvious that it lies on a sphere. however I really don't know how to demonstrate that...

if i consider the displacement as r(t)=xi+yj+zk
then r(t).v(t)=0
=>r(t).r'(t)=0
=>xx'+yy'+zz'=0

but it is totally different from a sphere equation which is x^2+y^2+z^2=R^2

2. I don't know if my reasoning is true
since v is constant then v' is equal to zero, thus a is equal to zero

so a.v=0.v=0 so a and v are perpendicular. However, a is a zero vector which I think is quite strange...

thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I found the answer for question 2.

vector v=Su where u is a unit tangent vector
since the speed S is constant, then S'=0

Or vector a= S'u+K(s)^2N where N is a unit normal vector and K is the curvature
=> a=K(s)^2N

so a.v=K(s)^2N.Su=K(s)^3 N.u=0 since N.u=0 (perpendicular to each other)

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is velocity calculated?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's position (displacement) by the change in time. This can be expressed as v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is displacement, and Δt is time.

What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of an object's change in position from its starting point to its ending point. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (distance) and direction.

What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different definitions. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity also takes into account the direction of motion.

What is the relationship between velocity and displacement?

Velocity and displacement are closely related, as velocity is the rate of change of displacement with respect to time. This means that the direction of the velocity vector is the same as the direction of the displacement vector.