1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity and Distance

1. Aug 28, 2005 #1
    2 trains have the speed 44.3 km/h, are headed each other on the same straight track. A bird that flies 177.2 km/h flies from the front of one train when they are 132.9 km apart and heads directly other train. On reaching the other train it flies directly back to the first train, and so forth.

what is the total distance the bird travels?

So i figure that I have to use pythagorian theorem. One of the legs is 132.9km but I don't know how to find the other leg. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are no triangles involved here, so Pythagoras isn't necessary.

There's a hard way and an easy way to do this problem. I'll let you think about it some more.
  4. Aug 28, 2005 #3
    Crap, ok i disreguarded the "same" straight track. Ok so the are going head to head! But is there an equation to find the time when two objects are approaching each other? I don't know many equations, we haven't gone over any in class.
  5. Aug 28, 2005 #4
    ok i thought i figured it out at 170.1km, but it says that is wrong. What did i do wrong?
  6. Aug 28, 2005 #5
    First we want to find the time the two trains will collide. So [tex] \frac{132.9 km}{44.3 \frac{km}{h}+ 44.3\frac{km}{h}} = \frac{3}{2} [/itex] hours. So multiply the eagles speed by this. Remember distance divided by velocity gives you time according to [tex] d = rt [/tex]
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  7. Aug 29, 2005 #6
    I'm curious as to what kind of bird this is that flies at 177.2 km/h.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?