Velocity and position as functions of time

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of a neutron through a material and the effects of collisions and resistive force on its velocity and position. The calculated velocity and position as a function of time are v(t)= m/[bt+(m/v0)] and x(t)= m/b [ln(bt+(m/v0))]+C, respectively. There is a discrepancy in the dimensionality of the position function, which is resolved by subtracting a term ln(m/v0).
Talltunetalk

Homework Statement

Suppose that a neutron with with mass M and initial speed v0 is traveling through a material, such as graphite. As the neutron moves, it makes collisions with atoms in the material, so teh faster it is moving, the more collisions it makes per unit time. Another model of teh net effect of this is that the neutron experiences a resistive force proportional to the square of its speed, e.g., the force exerted by the material on teh neutron goes like F=-bv^2. Determine the velocity and position of the neutron as a function of time??

Homework Equations

F=-bv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the velocity and got v(t)= m/[bt+(m/v0)] and this makes sense dimensionally at t=0 v=v0 but when i calculated the position I got x(t)= m/b [ln(bt+(m/v0))]+C .. The problem is this does not make sense dimensionally and conceptually.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hopefully others will correct this if it is wrong. After you integrated you had limits of integration, 0 to x and 0 to t. You should be subtracting a term ln(m/v0) and as lna - lnb = ln[a/b] the units will cancel inside the ln. I think your function is OK?

Good luck!

See,

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=1331961

im sorry where did you get the lna -lnb cause i am adding bt +(m/v0) inside the ln and i don't think you can separate the two into ln(bt) + ln(m/v0)..

I think you are integrating between limits, on the left side from 0 to x and on the right side from time = 0 to t. There will be a difference of two terms on the right hand side, x(t) - x(0) = something like

ln(bt+(m/v0)) - ln(b*0+(m/v0)) = ln[(bt+(m/v0))/(m/v0)]

The units cancel, that was what you were confused about?

I understand now thank you

What is velocity as a function of time?

Velocity as a function of time is a mathematical representation of how an object's velocity changes over a period of time. It is usually denoted as v(t) and is measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

What is position as a function of time?

Position as a function of time is a mathematical representation of an object's location at different points in time. It is usually denoted as x(t) and is measured in units of distance, such as meters or feet.

How are velocity and position related?

Velocity and position are related through the fundamental equation of kinematics, which states that velocity is equal to the derivative of position with respect to time. In other words, velocity is the rate of change of position over time. This means that if an object's position is changing, its velocity must also be changing.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total change in position divided by the total change in time. It gives an overall picture of an object's motion over a period of time. On the other hand, instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by taking the limit of the average velocity as the time interval approaches zero.

How do you graph velocity and position as functions of time?

Velocity and position can be graphed on a coordinate plane, with time on the horizontal axis and velocity or position on the vertical axis. The resulting graph is known as a velocity-time or position-time graph. The slope of the graph represents the object's velocity at that point in time, and the area under the curve represents the object's change in position over the given time interval.