Velocity & Speed Homework: Average Speed & Velocity

In summary, the problem involves a person walking at a constant speed of 5 m/s from point A to point B and then back at a constant speed of 3 m/s. The question asks for the average speed over the entire trip and the average velocity over the entire trip. To find the average speed, the total distance traveled must be found, which is 2D. To find the time, the equation t = x/V can be used, where x is the distance traveled and V is the average velocity. After solving for t, the average speed is found to be 3.75 m/s.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

A person walks first at a constant speed of 5 m/s along a straight line from point A to
point B and then back along the line from B to A at a constant speed of 3 m/s. a. What is
her average speed over the entire trip? b. What is her average velocity over the entire
trip?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused with the total distance between A and B. As far as I know for the average
speed I need to find the total distance from A to B and B to A. However how do I find
that? I also need the time as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
-EquinoX- said:

Homework Statement

A person walks first at a constant speed of 5 m/s along a straight line from point A to
point B and then back along the line from B to A at a constant speed of 3 m/s. a. What is
her average speed over the entire trip? b. What is her average velocity over the entire
trip?

Homework Equations

I am confused with the total distance between A and B. As far as I know for the average
speed I need to find the total distance from A to B and B to A. However how do I find

You can always solve it by defining some distance variable and calling it D.

Note: They are asking you for Avg Speed and Avg Velocity. Do you know what the difference is between them?

average speed is the total distance traveled divided by delta t and average velocity is delta x divided by delta t

-EquinoX- said:
average speed is the total distance traveled divided by delta t and average velocity is delta x divided by delta t

What are the equations then for figuring the amount of time for the first leg and the second.

I know you don't know the distance D between A and B, but put it in the equation anyway.

LowlyPion said:
What are the equations then for figuring the amount of time for the first leg and the second.

I know you don't know the distance D between A and B, but put it in the equation anyway.

that's my confusion, of finding out the time. I think the equation is s = v/t, so t is equal to v/s?

-EquinoX- said:

Homework Statement

trip?

Homework Equations

average speed ... i came up with 4m/s... velocity... ?

VE

Edit: I'm sure this is wrong... certainly missing some subtelties...

-EquinoX- said:
that's my confusion, of finding out the time. I think the equation is s = v/t, so t is equal to v/s?

That's the wrong equation.

V = s/t which means t = s/V

With S set to D and substituting the values of the velocities given then what is the total time? (time of the first leg plus time of the second)

ok... 3.75 m/s... velocity ?...

VE

ValenceE said:
ok... 3.75 m/s... velocity ?...VE

where did you get 3.75 from? and I know the average speed is 0 here as the total distance traveled is 0, as it went from A to B and B to A again, therefore they went back to the same place again where it started.

ValenceE said:
average speed ... i came up with 4m/s... velocity... ?

VE

Edit: I'm sure this is wrong... certainly missing some subtelties...

4 m/s is wrong.

Actually not so subtle. The math lays it all bare. Follow where it leads.

-EquinoX- said:
where did you get 3.75 from? and I know the average speed is 0 here as the total distance traveled is 0, as it went from A to B and B to A again, therefore they went back to the same place again where it started.

No you have confused speed with velocity.

Velocity is a vector. Magnitude and displacement.

Speed is a scalar magnitude.

-EquinoX- said:
where did you get 3.75 from?

Do the math and you will see how to find the average speed.

so you mean that average speed is not 0?

LowlyPion said:
Do the math and you will see how to find the average speed.

first I need to find delta x and delta t, how do I find delta t? even I don't know the time

-EquinoX- said:
so you mean that average speed is not 0?

Average speed is not 0.

Average velocity is 0. Velocity implies both direction of displacement as well as magnitude for the time taken.

The first paragraph of this article might be instructive to you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity
In physics, velocity is defined as the rate of change of position. It is a vector physical quantity; both speed and direction are required to define it.

LowlyPion said:
Average speed is not 0.

Average velocity is 0. Velocity implies both direction of displacement as well as magnitude for the time taken.

The first paragraph of this article might be instructive to you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity

Oh yea, sorry, I got that reversed.. now for the average speed. I need the total distance travelled, which is 2D and the delta t, which is??

-EquinoX- said:
first I need to find delta x and delta t, how do I find delta t? even I don't know the time

V = x/t

This means

t = x/V

If x=D how long to do the first leg?

never mind, I got 3.75. Thanks all

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the measurement of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is the measurement of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate average speed?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time it took to travel that distance. The formula for average speed is:
Average Speed = Total Distance / Total Time.

3. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time, while instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment in time. Average speed gives an overall picture of how fast an object is moving, while instantaneous speed gives the exact speed at a specific moment.

4. How do you calculate average velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time it took to travel that displacement. The formula for average velocity is:
Average Velocity = Total Displacement / Total Time.

5. Can an object have a constant speed but changing velocity?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed but changing velocity if it is changing direction. This means that even though the object is moving at the same speed, its velocity is changing because the direction of its motion is changing.