1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity and Speed

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A boat is placed in a river, which has a current velocity, Vc of 3.0 km/h east, relative to the shore. Relative to the river, the rower can maintain a boat speed, Vb of 6.0 km/h.
    A) Draw a diagram that could be used to find the boat's velocity relative to the shore if the boat is being rowed downstream.
    B) Draw a diagram where the direction of the boats velocity is relative to the shore southeastward.

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    A) I have a line going straight down, Vb and a 90 degree turn to the right, Vc.
    B) I know it's not right, but the same as above is what I thought.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Neither of your answers are correct.

If the boat is being rowed down stream, that means the boats velocity relative to the water is in the same direction that the river is flowing. And "East" is usually the direction to the right on the page. Southeast will be in a 45 degree diagonal direction down-and-to-the-right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook