Understanding Velocity and Force: The Relationship to Origin and Material Stress

In summary, the conversation discusses concepts related to calculus and physics, specifically the relationship between velocity and movement towards or away from the origin, as well as the effects of acceleration on a body. The conclusion is that these relationships do not hold in general and that any acceleration induces stress on a material body.
m0286
Hey I am trying to do a calculus problem, but I am confused i possibly got th wrong answer but this will help me to know if I got it right or wrong...
If the velocity of something is negative, does it ALWAYS move away from the origin?? and if its positive does it ALWAYS move toward thr origin, or are there exception to that??
If anyone could help Itd Be super great!
THANKS YA!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, those relations does not hold in general.

In order to help you on a bit:
What is the difference between an object's POSITION (relative to the origin, that is), and the object's DISTANCE from the origin?

can anyone tell what ll be the effect of change in acceleration on any fast moving body.Dose it induces any stresses in that body.

Force equal mass times acceleration. Any acceleration means there is a "force" and THAT will induce stress on a material body. Of course, you are not talking about mathematics now.

1. What is velocity and how is it measured?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is calculated by dividing the distance an object travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. The unit of measurement for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction. This means that two objects can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

3. What is the origin in relation to velocity?

The origin is the starting point or reference point for measuring the velocity of an object. It is usually designated as the point where an object begins its motion or the point where its position is zero.

4. How does velocity relate to acceleration?

Velocity and acceleration are closely related as acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. This means that when an object experiences a change in velocity, it is also experiencing acceleration.

5. What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for calculating velocity is: velocity (v) = change in distance (Δd) / change in time (Δt). This can also be written as v = (d2 - d1) / (t2 - t1), where d is distance and t is time.