Calculating Velocity of a Wheel at the Top Using Acceleration and Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the velocity of a point on the rim of a tire after a cyclist accelerates for 3.10 seconds. The solution involves understanding that the linear speed of the bike is the same as the rotational speed of the point on the wheel, and it can be calculated using the formula v= v_i + at. The conversation also mentions that the diameter of the wheel is not needed for this calculation.
Naldo6
1. Homework Statement

A cyclist accelerates from rest at a rate of 1.10 m/s2. How fast will a point on the rim of the tire (diameter = 79.7 cm) at the top be moving after 3.10 s?

2. The attempt at a solution:

i just tried this one...

a_avereage= Δw/Δt so a_avereage= ( w_2 - w_1 ) / Δt

if we set for w_2 we get w_2 = W_1 + (a_avereage)(Δt)
with w_1=0 the response for w_2 is 1.358 rad/s but that was wrong

can anyone help me how to ge the velocity of the wheel at the top t 3.10 s?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you need to figure out is how fast the bike is moving after 3.10 s. What's that? That's the same speed that the hub of the wheel is moving at. Now think about it. A point on the rim of the wheel that is in contact with the road is not moving relative to the road (if the bike isn't skidding). Right? The means the rotational speed of a point on the wheel is the same as the linear speed of the bike but in the opposite direction so they can cancel. Try drawing a picture. What happens at the top of the wheel? That's the easy way to think about it. You don't need the diameter of the wheel.

i don't undertand whau told me...

i need to know how to calculate that velocity?

Naldo6 said:
i don't undertand whau told me...

i need to know how to calculate that velocity?

Yes, you do, whether you do it the way I suggested or not. The bike accelerates at 1.10m/s^2 for 3.10s. What's its velocity?

ok, but how i calculate that velocity?... i tried in the above way but that was wrong.

It's a linear acceleration problem so far. Forget the rotational formulas.

ok so v= v_i + at
where v_i = 0
so v= (1.10m/s^2)(3.10s)=3.41 m/s right?...

That's a good start. Yes. So what's the rotational speed of points on the rim of the wheel? How fast is the rim of the tire spinning? In m/s, not radian/s.

is at the top 2 times the velocity and at the bottom zero?

Sure it is. The bottom of the wheel is at rest, so the top of the wheel is moving at 2*3.41m/s forward. You've got the picture, right? See? No diameter needed.

ty a lot...

can u help m ewith other problems i have doubt?...

i will post in new topics...

I'll try. You're welcome.

What is velocity at the top of a wheel?

Velocity at the top of a wheel refers to the speed of the wheel at its highest point, also known as the top dead center. It is the maximum velocity that the wheel reaches during its rotation.

How is velocity at the top of a wheel calculated?

Velocity at the top of a wheel can be calculated using the formula v = √(rg), where v is the velocity, r is the radius of the wheel, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula takes into account the circular motion of the wheel and the gravitational force acting on it.

Why is velocity at the top of a wheel important?

Velocity at the top of a wheel is important because it helps determine the amount of force and energy required to rotate the wheel. It also affects the stability and balance of the wheel, which is crucial for its proper functioning.

Can velocity at the top of a wheel be different from the rest of the wheel?

Yes, velocity at the top of a wheel can be different from the rest of the wheel. This is because the speed of a rotating object is not constant throughout its motion. The velocity at the top of the wheel is affected by factors such as the shape and size of the wheel, friction, and external forces acting on it.

How does velocity at the top of a wheel impact its performance?

Velocity at the top of a wheel can greatly impact its performance. If the velocity is too high, it can cause the wheel to lose balance and stability, leading to potential accidents. On the other hand, if the velocity is too low, the wheel may not rotate efficiently, resulting in a decrease in its performance.