Velocity (avg/instantaneous)

• Thread starter phragg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses a position-time graph for a particle moving along the x-axis. The average velocity is found by calculating the change in position over the change in time. The instantaneous velocity at t = 2.00 s is determined by measuring the slope of the tangent line on the graph. The velocity is zero at the point where the slope of the graph is zero.
phragg
A position-time graph for a particle moving along the x-axis is shown below:

(a) Find the average velocity in the time interval t = 1.50 s to t = 4.00 s.
(b) Determine the instantaneous velocity at t = 2.00 s by measuring the slope of the tangent line shown in the graph.
(c) At what value of t is the velocity zero?

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1514/tangetsb6.jpg

I figured that (a) was the easy part as I went ahead to solving that
[tex]v_{ave} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta t = t_f - t_i[/tex]
[tex]\Delta t = 4.00 s - 1.50s[/tex]
[tex]\Delta t = 2.50 s[/tex]

[tex]\Delta x = x_f - x_i[/tex]
[tex]\Delta x = 2m - 7m[/tex]
[tex]\Delta x = -5m[/tex]

[tex]v_{ave} = \frac{-5m}{2.50s}[/tex]
[tex]v_{ave} = -2m/s[/tex]

So after that was done I went on to part (b) which first asked to find the slope of the tangent point was easily done by:

[tex]m = \frac{y_2 - y_1}{x_2 - x_1}[/tex]
[tex]m = \frac{0 - 12}{4 - 0}[/tex]
[tex]m = \frac{-3}{1}[/tex]

Now I am completely stumped as to what they're asking for how to Determine the instantaneous Velocity at t = 2.00 s and Don't get me started on (c). Oh an p.s. Hey I'm new to PF ;p!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, welcome to PF.
Actually, you already solved b :)
The key thing you are missing, is that instantaneous velocity at some time is the slope of the (t, x) graph at that point.

This should also help you solve c.

Hello and welcome to PF! It's great to have you here. I can provide some insight into the questions you have raised about velocity.

First, let's clarify the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity. Average velocity is the overall rate of change of an object's position over a given time interval, while instantaneous velocity is the rate of change at a specific moment in time.

In part (a), you correctly calculated the average velocity for the given time interval. This tells us the overall rate of change of the object's position from t = 1.50 s to t = 4.00 s.

In part (b), you have correctly calculated the slope of the tangent line at t = 2.00 s. This slope represents the instantaneous velocity at that specific moment in time.

To determine the instantaneous velocity at t = 2.00 s, you simply need to plug in the values for x and t into the equation for velocity:
v = \frac{dx}{dt}
v = \frac{-3m}{1s}
v = -3m/s

This tells us that at t = 2.00 s, the object's instantaneous velocity is -3 m/s.

For part (c), we are looking for the value of t at which the velocity is zero. This means that the object is not moving, or it has stopped at that point. To find this, we can use the slope of the tangent line at t = 0 s and t = 4.00 s.

At t = 0 s, the slope of the tangent line is 0, which means the object is not moving. At t = 4.00 s, the slope of the tangent line is -3, which means the object is moving in the negative direction.

Therefore, the velocity is zero at some point between t = 0 s and t = 4.00 s. To find the exact value of t, we can use the equation for velocity and set it equal to zero:
v = \frac{dx}{dt} = 0
\frac{dx}{dt} = 0
This means that the object's position is not changing, or it is not moving, at that specific moment in time.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of average and instantaneous velocity. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time.

3. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point. For example, if the reference point is to the right and the object is moving to the left, the velocity will be negative.

4. What unit is velocity measured in?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) in the metric system and feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system.

5. How does acceleration affect velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. If an object experiences acceleration, its velocity will change by a certain amount in a certain time period.