Velocity before collision

• Thread starter jmoser
  • Start date
A car with a mass of 1007 kg is moving 36 m/s, strikes a 2499 kg car at rest. if the two cars stick together, with what speed do they move?

I tried using the equation mass of object 1st car*(initial velocity of car 1 + initial velocticy
of car 2) the divide by the mass of car 2. i dont know what to do plz help :confused:

Answers and Replies

sorry i wrote the wrong title

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
welcome to pf!

hi jmoser! welcome to pf! :wink:

(never make the first reply to your own question :redface: … it removes the question from the no-replies list! … if necessary, use the EDIT button instead :wink:)
A car with a mass of 1007 kg is moving 36 m/s, strikes a 2499 kg car at rest. if the two cars stick together, with what speed do they move?

I tried using the equation mass of object 1st car*(initial velocity of car 1 + initial velocticy
of car 2) the divide by the mass of car 2. i dont know what to do plz help :confused:

just take it slowly …

i] what is total momentum before?

ii] what is total momentum after? :smile:

ok thanks ill remember that :) ok the total momentum before is 36252 all i did was mass times velocity and add both momentum for both and that is what i got and after the collision it is the same right?

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
hi jmoser! :wink:
ok the total momentum before is 36252

that's right! :smile:
all i did was mass times velocity and add both momentum for both and that is what i got and after the collision it is the same right?

your english is difficult to understand :confused:

yes, the total momentum after is also 36252 …

so what is the speed? :smile: