Velocity of Object: Will it Stop in Time?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of velocity of an object as time approaches infinity. It is explained that the speed will get closer and closer to zero but will never reach it, instead moving slowly and getting closer to some point. The correction of the time constant does not change this understanding.
ytsejam
hi this is first time for me here and it seems very useful.

my question is:

the expression is velocity of object while t->infinity

the object will stop somewhere in time? and if it will , when

i think it will go on forever. but I'm not sure

thanks

liron

Attachments

• 2.gif
    2.gif
    183 bytes · Views: 524
Physics news on Phys.org
A good way to look at it is to remember that [tex]e^{-x}=\frac{1}{e^x}[/tex], so
[tex]V(t)=\frac{v_0}{e^{t/x}}[/tex]
Now it should be clear what happens as time approaches infinity. Keep in mind, though that approaching a number is something different from reaching it.

correction

correction...my fault in the paste.
the x supposed to be taw-time constant.

it is change your asseveration?

thanks

That really doesn't change anything, now it is just:
[tex]V(t)=\frac{v_0}{e^{t/\tau}}[/tex]

so it will stop?

As time approaches infinity the speed will get closer and closer to zero, but not reach it. It will move so slowly that it will not travel an infinite distance, it will just get closer and closer to some point, going more and more slowly and never getting there.

...what i thought.

thanks for clearing it for me

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of an object?

The formula for calculating velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

2. How does the velocity of an object affect its stopping time?

The higher the velocity of an object, the longer it will take for it to come to a complete stop. This is because it has more momentum and requires more force to slow down.

3. Can an object with a high velocity stop in time to avoid a collision?

It depends on the distance between the object and the collision point, as well as the object's deceleration rate. If there is enough distance and the object can decelerate quickly enough, it may be able to stop in time to avoid a collision.

4. How does friction affect the velocity of an object?

Friction can slow down the velocity of an object, as it acts as a force that opposes the motion of the object. This can ultimately affect its stopping time as well.

5. Is there a maximum velocity at which an object can stop in time?

There is no set maximum velocity at which an object can stop in time. It depends on various factors such as the object's mass, friction, and deceleration rate. However, in most cases, there is a limit to how quickly an object can decelerate before it causes damage to itself or its surroundings.