Velocity falling from window

In summary, Roger sees water balloons falling past his window at a speed of 14.0 m/s, and based on the height of his room (15 m), the balloons are likely being released from the third floor (floor number 3).
Wanting to Learn

Homework Statement

Roger sees water balloons fall past his window. He notices that each balloon strikes the sidewalk 0.83 s after passing his window. Roger's room is on the third floor, 15 m above the sidewalk.
Part A:
How fast are the balloons traveling when they pass Roger's window? (express to 3sig figs with units)
Part B:
Assuming the balloons are being released from rest, from what floor are they being released? Each floor of the dorm is 5.0 m high. (Express answer as integer. Thus the balloons are coming from the floor number _.)

Homework Equations

d = .5(vf + v0)t

vf = 0m/s
v0 = ? m/s
t = 0.83s
d = 15m

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in:
15 = .5(0 + v)*0.83
15 = 0.415v
v = 36.14...
I assume units are m/s

When I put 36.1 m/s as the answer (homework is online) it said my answer is incorrect. Where did I do wrong with it?
(I will attempt part B once I have the correct answer for part A.)

Thank you in advance for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wanting to Learn said:
vf = 0m/s
Is this the final velocity of the balloon just before striking the ground?

TSny said:
Is this the final velocity of the balloon just before striking the ground?
Maybe not? I would think that the water balloon keeps getting faster, at least until a certain speed, as it falls, and velocity is 0 when it has hit the ground. Perhaps I need to not use that and use a different equation? (In class we were given a list of equations for accelerating objects but I'm not always sure which one to use.)

These are the equations we were given:
Equations for Accelerating Objects.JPG

The right column lists the variables used.

Wanting to Learn said:
Maybe not? I would think that the water balloon keeps getting faster, at least until a certain speed, as it falls, and velocity is 0 when it has hit the ground. Perhaps I need to not use that and use a different equation? (In class we were given a list of equations for accelerating objects but I'm not always sure which one to use.)
I think you can safely neglect air resistance, so the balloons will be speeding up the entire time.

As I like to ask my students, "Imagine you are the ground. Would you say the balloons were going 0 m/s when they hit you?"

Likes TSny
Okay, so should I try using this equation?
d = v0t + .5at2
so
15 = 0.83v + .5*9.8*0.832
4.4436... = 0.83v
v = 3.6882...

EDIT: 3.69 m/s is not the correct answer, I'm still not sure what I've been doing wrong or if I need to use a different equation

I've gotten the correct answer to Part A, turns out I had the correct equation though perhaps typed something incorrectly in the calculator. The answer to Part A is 14.0m/s. I will attempt part B later and post again if I get it or need help.

Wanting to Learn said:
I've gotten the correct answer to Part A, turns out I had the correct equation though perhaps typed something incorrectly in the calculator. The answer to Part A is 14.0m/s. I will attempt part B later and post again if I get it or need help.
OK. Your work for part A looks good.

Thank you, I did manage to get Part B

What is the velocity of an object falling from a window?

The velocity of an object falling from a window can vary depending on the height of the window, the mass of the object, and the presence of air resistance. However, in a vacuum, all objects fall at the same rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

What factors affect the velocity of an object falling from a window?

The velocity of an object falling from a window is primarily affected by the height of the window and the presence of air resistance. The mass and shape of the object can also play a role in its velocity.

How does air resistance impact the velocity of an object falling from a window?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. As an object falls, it encounters air resistance which increases the faster the object is falling. This can ultimately slow down the object's velocity.

Does the velocity of an object falling from a window change as it falls?

Yes, the velocity of an object falling from a window changes as it falls. Initially, the object will accelerate due to the force of gravity, but as it falls, air resistance and other factors can cause its velocity to decrease or even reach a constant speed.

How can the velocity of an object falling from a window be calculated?

The velocity of an object falling from a window can be calculated using the equation v = gt, where v represents velocity, g represents the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t represents time. This equation assumes that the object is falling in a vacuum without air resistance.