1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity filter question

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the figure (see attached) what is the velocity of the charged particle to the nearest tenth of a m/s that will allow it to travel undeflected through the crossed magnetic field if E = 6852 N/C and B = 3.6 T?

2. Relevant equations

F = E*q + q*V*B

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so this is an online physics practice thing (for Giancolli) I was assigned for AP work. It's known for giving wrong (but close) answers, so don't be afraid to tell me that I'm doing this right (or wrong). But the answer I got is very close to the answer it gave me.

Anyway, here is my attempt:

E*q = q*V*B
    cross out q

E = V*B

V = E/B

E = 6852 N/C
    B = 3.6 T

V = 1903.3 m/s

Thanks,

Jordan
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Calculations look OK. Given the original data - especially the B = 3.6 - it indicates you should only give your answer to 2 figures, so 1.9 x 103 m/s

note that 1900 m/s is not correct, because if you, even mistakenly, decide to give too many figures, those extra figures have to be correct.

4. Aug 28, 2011 #3
    Thanks!
    And the online thing doesn't let us (for most questions) put in scientific notation

5. Aug 28, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

In that case, 1900 might be "their" form of 1.9 x 103

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook