Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Velocity filter question

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the figure (see attached) what is the velocity of the charged particle to the nearest tenth of a m/s that will allow it to travel undeflected through the crossed magnetic field if E = 6852 N/C and B = 3.6 T?

2. Relevant equations

F = E*q + q*V*B

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so this is an online physics practice thing (for Giancolli) I was assigned for AP work. It's known for giving wrong (but close) answers, so don't be afraid to tell me that I'm doing this right (or wrong). But the answer I got is very close to the answer it gave me.

Anyway, here is my attempt:

E*q = q*V*B
    cross out q

E = V*B

V = E/B

E = 6852 N/C
    B = 3.6 T

V = 1903.3 m/s

Thanks,

Jordan
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Calculations look OK. Given the original data - especially the B = 3.6 - it indicates you should only give your answer to 2 figures, so 1.9 x 103 m/s

note that 1900 m/s is not correct, because if you, even mistakenly, decide to give too many figures, those extra figures have to be correct.

4. Aug 28, 2011 #3
    Thanks!
    And the online thing doesn't let us (for most questions) put in scientific notation

5. Aug 28, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

In that case, 1900 might be "their" form of 1.9 x 103

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook