1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity from force/time graph

1. Oct 25, 2004 #1

^^ So according to that graph, force (and so acceleration) increase from t =0 to t=4 then force drops to zero and there's probably a constant deacceleration for two seconds....

How do I get the velocity at t = 6?

acceleration is changing as forces changes (increases) so I can't pin it down and Im guessing in order to get velocity at t = 6 I'll need velocity at t = 4 and acceleration between t = 4 and t= 6...

Any hints/ideas? Thanks for any help. :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT: If force is proportional to the derivative of the speed then the speed should be proportional to the integral of the force! :-)
  4. Oct 25, 2004 #3
    I alternated between staring at that hint and the graph for 15 minutes...

5. Oct 25, 2004 #4
    the velocity is the integral of acceleration....acceleration and force are proportional as you know....now you know what an integral represents, right...?
  6. Oct 25, 2004 #5
    ... so velocity is the area under the force? 1/2*b*h = 1/2*4*10 = 20 for initial velocity at t = 4?
  7. Oct 25, 2004 #6
    hah never mind I got it! the hight of the triangle should've been in acceleration values and not force.. so I divided ten by the mass and THEN calculated the area and that's the initial velocity which is equal to the final one at t = 6 because acceleration is 0 from t =4 to t=6.

Thanks! :biggrin:
  8. Oct 25, 2004 #7
    very good! :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?