1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity help

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1
    a basketball player is 1.9m tall, wants to make a basket 10m away. the basket is 3.05m tall. gravity is 9.8, if he shoots from a height of 1.91m at 33.3 degree angle, what initial speed is thrown to make a basket?

i have no clue how to find initial velocity when it isnt given.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have both a horizontal and vertical distance, with a vertical acceleration. The velocity will have two perpendicular components (horizontal and vertical). You know how far horizontally and vertically it must travel to reach the basket therefore you should be able to work out the flight time (using simulataneous equations and equations of motion) and then calculate the velocity and resolve the components. Start working through it and I'll try to help you along the way.

4. Jan 22, 2006 #3
    ok i think Vy is 4.726

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  5. Jan 22, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

can you show your working? Also where is the angle taken from (horizontal or vertical)

6. Jan 22, 2006 #5
    the angle is on the horizontal. nevermind on that Vy answer. Im stumped. how do i find Vxo and Vyo? is Y just the difference in the goal height and the height from which he shot? so Y is 1.14? and x is 10m?

7. Jan 22, 2006 #6
    the angle is on the horizontal. i think i need to use forumla V2y=V2oy-2gdeltay? nevermind on my answer about Vy...Im stumped

edit..

ok Vfy2=0+2(9.8)(1.14)
    Vfy=4.726 m/s

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?