1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity in microchannel with temporal temperature variation

1. Dec 18, 2017 #61
    The short answer is "intuition, based on many years of experience."

The long answer is: I recognized that, for an observer moving to the left with a constant velocity c, the spatial coordinate in his frame of reference, X=x+ct (the X axis is also moving to the left with the observer) has constant density at every value of X (i.e., at each value of X, the density is not changing with time), since ##\rho=\rho(x+ct)=\rho(X)##. Basically, in the x frame of reference the density profile is traveling to the left like a wave moving at speed c, but in the X frame of reference, the density profile is stationary. This automatically led mathematically to the transformation of independent variables that we used.

2. Jan 2, 2018 #62
    Have you considered any scale like U=u/c , V=v/c, X= x/L, Y=y/L to reduce the momentum balance equation from $$ {\partial{\bf u}\over{\partial t}} + ({\bf u} \cdot \nabla) {\bf u} = - {1\over\rho} \nabla p + \gamma\nabla^2{\bf u} + {\gamma}{1\over3}\nabla (\nabla \cdot {\bf u})$$
    To $$\frac{\partial P}{\partial X}=\mu \frac{\partial ^2U}{\partial Y^2}\tag{2}$$
    or directly take the first term $${\partial{\bf u}\over{\partial t}}=0$$ as the flow is steady. and $$\rho{\bf u} \cdot \nabla {\bf u}={\bf u} \cdot \nabla (\rho{\bf u})=0 $$
    still could not eliminate this term, $${1\over3}\nabla (\nabla \cdot {\bf u})$$
    or you have considered the momentum balance equation like this $$ {\partial{\bf u}\over{\partial t}} + ({\bf u} \cdot \nabla) {\bf u} = - {1\over\rho} \nabla p + \gamma\nabla^2{\bf u} + {g_{x}} $$ as $$\rho g_{x}=0$$
    Or firstly use Galilean transformation then reduce the equation.I am little confused which way to show this momentum balance equation.

3. Jan 2, 2018 #63
    I think I've helped enough on this thread already. I'll leave it up to you to work out the rest of these details.

4. Jan 3, 2018 #64
    I changed my mind because of your post on that other forum. So, here goes.

If we apply our coordinate transformation to the momentum equation, we obtain for the X component the following:
    $$U\frac{\partial U}{\partial X}+V\frac{\partial U}{\partial Y}=-\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial p}{\partial X}+\gamma\left[\frac{\partial^2U}{\partial X^2}+\frac{\partial^2U}{\partial Y^2}\right]+\frac{\gamma}{3}\left[\frac{\partial ^2U}{\partial X^2}+\frac{\partial^2V}{\partial X\partial Y}\right]$$
    OK so far??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted