Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity in terms of proper time

1. Mar 25, 2014 #1
    Two questions, based on the same situation: in
    http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/34204/relativistic-acceleration-equation
    (question A) it is mentioned that, for an object with a constant acceleration g[itex]_{M}[/itex], and with [itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex] =1/g[itex]_{M}[/itex] , after proper time [itex]\tau[/itex], the coordinates are
    x= cosh([itex]\tau[/itex]/[itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex])
    t = sinh([itex]\tau[/itex]/[itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex])
    and that therefore
    v = tanh([itex]\tau[/itex]/[itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex])
    My first reaction was that this should be coth (position/time, cosh/sinh), but then I figured that tanh comes from v=dx/dt =d(cosh ...)/d(sinh ...) = sinh.../cosh..... Is this correct?
    (question B) However, this is the end velocity after d[itex]\tau[/itex]. So, I presume one would need to call this v= dv. If we want the end velocity after a finite amount of time, I presume integration would be in order, but since it is the rapidities that add rather than the velocities, I am not sure how this integration would look. Or perhaps there is a simpler method to find the coordinate velocity after finite proper time [itex]\tau[/itex] with constant acceleration g[itex]_{M}[/itex]? (Starting at (0,0).)
    I would be grateful for anyone who can untangle me from this mess.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2014 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Yes

No, v = dx/dt, as you've calculated it, is the desired instantaneous coordinate velocity at time τ.

4. Mar 25, 2014 #3
    Thanks, Bill_K

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook