What were the velocity and direction of the glass as it fell?

In summary, the glass slides off the edge of a table 0.860m high and falls 1.53m to the floor. To determine the velocity at which the glass left the table, the x component of velocity needs to be found, using the equation xf=xi+vxit+.5axt^2. However, since the time is unknown, a quadratic equation is needed to solve for both v and t. The direction of the glass's velocity upon hitting the ground can be determined by using the equation tan(0.860/1.53)= 29.3 degrees, clockwise from the horizontal.
waldvocm
A glass is slid across a table top, goes off the edge and falls to the floor. The table is 0.860m high and the glass lands 1.53m from the edge.
a)With what velocity did the glass leave the table top?
b)What was the direction of the glass's velocity(degrees clockwise from the horizontal)as it hit the ground?

For a) I believe that I have to find the x component of velocity.

xf=xi+vxit+.5axt^2 But I don't know the time either!

b) tan(0.860/1.53)= 29.3degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi waldvocm! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

For a), call the time t, and do two equations, one for x and one for y. Then eliminate t.

What do you get? :smile:

I am not sure that I follow. Do you mean a quadratic equation?

How can I find the time if I don't know the velocity?

Call the velocity v, call the time t, get two equations which both contain v and t.

That's two equations with two unknowns, so you should be able to find both of them.

1. What is velocity in two dimensions?

Velocity in two dimensions is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position in two different directions, usually represented as x and y. It takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2. How is velocity in two dimensions calculated?

Velocity in two dimensions is calculated by dividing the total displacement in both the x and y directions by the total time taken to travel that distance. The resulting value will have both a magnitude (speed) and direction, which can be represented using vector notation.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity in two dimensions?

Speed is a scalar quantity that only describes the rate of change of an object's position, while velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion in two dimensions.

4. Can velocity in two dimensions be negative?

Yes, velocity in two dimensions can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction from the positive direction. For example, a velocity of -5 m/s in the x-direction means that the object is moving to the left.

5. How is velocity in two dimensions affected by acceleration?

Velocity in two dimensions can be affected by acceleration in several ways. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, the object's speed will increase. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the object's speed will decrease. Additionally, if the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity, it will cause the object to change direction without changing its speed.