Calculating Earth-Sun Distance from Velocity and Time

In summary: I think you need to solve for D and then multiply by the speed to get the distance. You may also want to try this: Distance = Rate(velocity) x Time
puregoodboi
Hey guys

um

LIght from the Sun reaches Earth in 8.3 minutes .
The velocity of light is 3 x 10 (8) meters per second<- <pretend this is a power>. How far is Earth from the sun?

geez to get distance i have to multiply the speed vs the velocity

in the answer key it says the answer is 2.5 but i need to know the steps to get there.. would someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
2.5 what? What units of measurement are you talking about?

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
2.5 what? What units of measurement are you talking about?

talking about m/s metres per second

Meters per sec is a measurement of rate not distance. If we're talking about distance, you need a measurement in meters (or kilometers or miles,etc.)

Distance is equal to rate(velocity) multiplied by time. Can you give this a try? I would suggest converting minutes to seconds before getting started.

how would u solve this answer then because evidently my answer key is wrong

Math Is Hard said:
Distance is equal to rate(velocity) multiplied by time. Can you give this a try? I would suggest converting minutes to seconds before getting started.

in this case i'd have no problem doing it if not for the scientific notation how would i write that in a formula and solve it as well?

the scientific notation is what throws me off and also it gets me thinkinga bout significant figures.. soo help? I'm so confused +__+

velocity is given as 3 x 108 m/seconds
time is given as 8.3 minutes or 498 seconds

you just need to multiply these

OK, kiddo. I think you can take it from here. I am going to bed.

p.s. you can check your figures by googling "earth distance to sun"

toodles.

Time X Velocity = Distance
s x m/s = m

where m = metre and s = second.

This is the second time you have posted this and you have been given a great deal of help. You say "in this case i'd have no problem doing it if not for the scientific notation". Okay, suppose the problem said that the speed of light was 3 meters per second and it took light 8.2 minutes to get to the earth. That has no scientific notation: what is the distance from the Earth to the sun given that?

What is the formula for calculating the Earth-Sun distance?

The formula for calculating the Earth-Sun distance is: Distance = Velocity x Time.

What is the unit of measurement for the Earth-Sun distance?

The unit of measurement for the Earth-Sun distance is typically kilometers (km) or astronomical units (AU).

How accurate is the calculation of the Earth-Sun distance?

The calculation of the Earth-Sun distance can be very accurate, as long as the velocity and time measurements are precise. However, there may be slight variations due to the elliptical orbit of the Earth and other factors.

Can the Earth-Sun distance be calculated using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the Earth-Sun distance, including using the parallax method, radar measurements, and Kepler's third law.

Why is calculating the Earth-Sun distance important?

Calculating the Earth-Sun distance is important for understanding the dynamics of our solar system and for various scientific and astronomical calculations, such as predicting eclipses and determining the size and mass of the Earth and Sun.