1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity / Momentum Questions

1. Sep 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have three questions:

1. "The car rounded the corner at a constant velocity." Would this statement make sense to a physicist?

2. A cup sitting on a table constantly receives upward momentum from the table, T or F?

3. Imagine that a 1.0 kg cart traveling rightward at 1.0 m/s hits a 3.0 kg cart at rest. Afterward, the smaller cart is observed to move leftward with a speed of 0.75 m/s. What impulse did the collision give the smaller cart at the expense of the larger?

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

1. No, the word velocity is being used incorrectly.
    2. I don't know about this one. I would say true, if the compression contact interaction of the table can be considered as velocity (which is a component of momentum). False, if the table is not displacing anything, hence there is no displacement over time or velocity.
    3. I don't understand the question. The collision gave the smaller car an impulse? Well, I suppose 0.75 kg m/s leftward? Or was there none?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1, correct
    2, No momentum and force are quite different.
    3, Impulse is force * time so has units of Newton seconds ( or kg m/s )
    I don't see how part 3 can be true, the initial carts has ke = 0.5 * 1 * 1^2 = 0.5J
    the second cart has ke = 0.5 * 3* 0.75^2 = 0.84J unless I have made a msitake in arithmetic.

4. Sep 7, 2007 #3

learningphysics

Homework Helper

For part 3, impulse given to the small cart is change in momentum of the small cart... so the final momentum of the small cart - initial momentum of the small cart is what you need... careful about directions and signs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?