1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity neutron in vacuum

1. Dec 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the de Broglie wavelength of a neutron that has fallen 0.60 in a vacuum chamber, starting from rest?

2. Relevant equations
    Not entirely sure
    λ=h/mv

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't figure out what the velocity is, I think it would have to do with the change in kinetic energy but I can't figure out what that would be

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2012 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Is the distance 0.6 m, cm, mm? Units, as well as magnitude, are rather important to a physics or engineering, or other quantitative problem.

If the neutron is in freefall - what is the acceleration? Knowing the acceleration and distance, one can determine the velocity at that distance.

4. Dec 8, 2012 #3
    The other way to look at it, instead of calculating accelerations and integrating back to get velocity, is to look at the Energy. The change in energy is just mg*(change in height) and this goes into the kinetic energy i.e. 1/2 mv^2.

5. Dec 8, 2012 #4
    meters

I tried finding the velocity using v2=2ax
    and found v to be 3.43m/s
    then I plugged that into λ=h/mv
    where m=1.67*10-27kg and h=6.67*10-34
    and found λ=5.87*10-8

6. Dec 8, 2012 #5
    wait for some reason I was using h=3.36E-34 instead of 6.67E-34 I don't even know where that number came from

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook