Velocity of a boat after feeling the wind force

In summary, a boat weighing 400 kg is moving with a constant speed of 4.0 m/s in a direction 30 degrees north of east. After feeling a force from the wind at 45 degrees north of east with a magnitude of 100N, the boat experiences an acceleration of 1/4 m/s^2. By breaking the velocity into x and y components and using the equations F=ma and v=vo+at, the resulting velocity vector of the boat after 10 seconds can be found by plugging the components into the Pythagorean theorem and using the arctangent function to determine the angle.
jahrollins

Homework Statement

A boat is 400 kg and cruising along with a constant speed of 4.0 m/s in a direction 30 degrees north of east. The boat suddenly begins to feel a force from the wind that is 45 degrees north of east and has a magnitude of 100N. After a 10 second period what is the velocity vector of the boat?

Homework Equations

F = ma
v = vo + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm wondering if I'm doing this right.

So I broke velocity into x and y components

vxo = 4cos30
vyo = 4sin30

Found the acceleration : f = ma
100 N = 400 kg * a
a = 1/4 m/s2

Broke acceleration into components
ax = 0.25cos45
ay = 0.25sin45

Plugged into equation vf = vo + at
vx = 4cos30 + 0.25cos45 * 10
vy = 4sin30 + 0.25sin45 * 10

Then I would plug vx and vy into Pythagorean to find the magnitude of the velocity? and use inverse tan (vy/vx) to find the angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
jahrollins said:

Homework Statement

A boat is 400 kg and cruising along with a constant speed of 4.0 m/s in a direction 30 degrees north of east. The boat suddenly begins to feel a force from the wind that is 45 degrees north of east and has a magnitude of 100N. After a 10 second period what is the velocity vector of the boat?

Homework Equations

F = ma
v = vo + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm wondering if I'm doing this right.

So I broke velocity into x and y components

vxo = 4cos30
vyo = 4sin30

Found the acceleration : f = ma
100 N = 400 kg * a
a = 1/4 m/s2

Broke acceleration into components
ax = 0.25cos45
ay = 0.25sin45

Plugged into equation vf = vo + at
vx = 4cos30 + 0.25cos45 * 10
vy = 4sin30 + 0.25sin45 * 10

Then I would plug vx and vy into Pythagorean to find the magnitude of the velocity? and use inverse tan (vy/vx) to find the angle?

Yes. Everything looks good. Make sure you recognize when you need to correct the arctangent, though! (for example, two negative components)

What is the definition of velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How does wind force affect the velocity of a boat?

Wind force, also known as wind speed, can affect the velocity of a boat by either increasing or decreasing its speed, depending on the direction and strength of the wind. A strong tailwind can increase the velocity of a boat, while a headwind can decrease its velocity.

What factors determine the final velocity of a boat after feeling the wind force?

The final velocity of a boat after feeling the wind force is determined by several factors, including the direction and strength of the wind, the weight and shape of the boat, and the efficiency of the boat's sails or propulsion system.

How can the velocity of a boat be calculated after feeling the wind force?

The velocity of a boat after feeling the wind force can be calculated using the equation: velocity = force/mass. This takes into account the force of the wind on the boat and the mass of the boat itself. Other factors, such as resistance and drag, may also need to be considered.

What are some methods for increasing the velocity of a boat after feeling the wind force?

There are several methods for increasing the velocity of a boat after feeling the wind force, including adjusting the sails to catch more wind, optimizing the weight and balance of the boat, and using a more efficient propulsion system. Additionally, reducing resistance and drag can also improve a boat's velocity.