Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of a liquid

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1
    I am trying to determine the velocity of a liquid. The density of the liquid is .885 g/cm3. The pressure at which it is being forced is 17236.89 kpa. What else do I need to know? I am looking for a formula to help me in other calculations with different pressures and densities. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I assume it is being forced out of a nozzle or hole at that pressure. (Is that the total pressure or pressure above atmospheric?) The main other detail you need is the area of the hole/nozzle, though there is a difference between the measured area and the 'effective' area. That difference can depend on the internal geometry of the container.

4. Sep 8, 2012 #3
    Yes it is being sprayed from a nozzle in this case which is .16mm per hole and a total of 8 holes. The pressure is total.

5. Sep 11, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Correction, you don't need the area - was thinking of a different problem.
    Pressure P, velocity V, density D, area A. Power = P.A.V = A.V.D.(V2/2), V2 = 2P/D.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook