1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of a liquid

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1
    I am trying to determine the velocity of a liquid. The density of the liquid is .885 g/cm3. The pressure at which it is being forced is 17236.89 kpa. What else do I need to know? I am looking for a formula to help me in other calculations with different pressures and densities. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I assume it is being forced out of a nozzle or hole at that pressure. (Is that the total pressure or pressure above atmospheric?) The main other detail you need is the area of the hole/nozzle, though there is a difference between the measured area and the 'effective' area. That difference can depend on the internal geometry of the container.

4. Sep 8, 2012 #3
    Yes it is being sprayed from a nozzle in this case which is .16mm per hole and a total of 8 holes. The pressure is total.

5. Sep 11, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Correction, you don't need the area - was thinking of a different problem.
    Pressure P, velocity V, density D, area A. Power = P.A.V = A.V.D.(V2/2), V2 = 2P/D.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook